No announcement yet.

XBMC Project Implements AMD XvBA Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The code supports the same hardware which xvba-va-driver supported.
    It should work on normal UVD.

Last edited by fritsch; 15 December 2011, 05:56 AM. Reason: Additional Link

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      Very nice!
      @fritsch: have you been in contatc with the maintainer of XvBA Tools on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvbat/) about the issues you've had? He seems like the most public figure at AMD for XvBA-related stuff.
      actually he's not really AMD as such...Tim Writer ECSD Liaison Engineer at AMD, Owner at SaaS 44 Inc, so in effect another 3rd party vendor for this XvBA Tools.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
        We looked a bit through xvba tools code. But they are using another base, no ffmpeg framework, so mapping, etc. could not be learned of.
        It was hard to compare.

Gwens xvba-va-driver code was really helpful at some points.

For mail, we had an internal contact.
        Yeah, it was evident they don't get it way back in early march when he said "I can't discuss AMD's choice of license in any further detail except to say that swcale did not meet AMD's licensing requirements for XvBA Tools." as the reason for not picking the fully maintained and ported everywhere that matters "swcale" as they thought it was not LGPL licenceable

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
          actually he's not really AMD as such...Tim Writer ECSD Liaison Engineer at AMD, Owner at SaaS 44 Inc, so in effect another 3rd party vendor for this XvBA Tools.
          If that is a reference to his LinkedIn profile, the first current listed position is "Senior Member Technical Staff at AMD". So I would believe he has access to quite a bunch of info.

Comment

If that is a reference to his LinkedIn profile, the first current listed position is "Senior Member Technical Staff at AMD". So I would believe he has access to quite a bunch of info.
            im sure he does, he's apparently part of AMD Embedded Solutions but that didn't help him or the Embedded team get very far in a whole 9 months+ to date did it, were a simple public post to the the whole ffmpeg/libav ML's stating this is what we have, this is what we need,how do we integrate these patches ASAP etc..

would have probably generated far more developer response and feedback in a day/week than those 5 or 6 posts in his mailing list generated after all this time, fritsch and the other devs have managed to provide their working solution in spite of the "sample code intended as a guide for developers" provided, not because of it. but whatever, time moves on.

imagine how much more complete this could have been by now if only these player devs Tim makes reference to had all they needed patched inside the OSS libav/ffmpeg from day one.... assuming it met the high standard of code requirements and was benched to make sure it didn't slow things down, rather than keep an unreleased internal AMD ffmpeg version to try and keep their control
            Last edited by popper; 15 December 2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Wow dude, easy on the venom... I know it's the Phoronix forums, and there seems to be an implicit quota of daily dung flinging towards AMD to meet, but I was merely suggesting something.

Comment

Wow dude, easy on the venom... I know it's the Phoronix forums, and there seems to be an implicit quota of daily dung flinging towards AMD to meet, but I was merely suggesting something.
                In fairness, most of his posts are like that.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  In fairness, most of his posts are like that.
                  LOL . well if that's how you want to take it that's fine, it's not my intention to spit venom as you put it, just stating the facts as they appear at the time, if you don't agree then fine, convince me otherwise (that is possible you know, and ill change my view) or don't, but im as a loss at to how we got here when you simply said "I would believe he has access to quite a bunch of info" and i agreed with you!, then expanded the point to get some kind of interesting XvBA discussion going (or not as the case appears) but this is OT so ill stop now and continue elsewhere if you prefer
                  Last edited by popper; 15 December 2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
                    im as a loss at to how we got here when you simply said "I would believe he has access to quite a bunch of info" and i agreed with you!, then expanded the point to get some kind of interesting XvBA discussion going (or not as the case appears) but this is OT so ill stop now and continue elsewhere if you prefer
                    Ok, here's how I read your post, in a nutshell: "I agree BUT *venom for the rest of the post*"

Also I find that what you claim as facts is actually really subjective, being a personal interpretation of AMD's internal actions based on public ones, pitted against one's own short-term expectations.
                    And that's just plain unrealistic.
                    The complexity of a large company's requirements towards its markets and stakeholders, against its competitors, and with regards to e.g. laws are at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to a single consumer's "I want this now".

For instance, do we even know why they didn't handle the project as you suggested? (I'm ready to eat my crow, just in case)
                    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 16 December 2011, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Seriously.... Absolutely fantastic work from the xbmc (and everyone else involved) devs!
                      I'm running openelec with xvba on the fusion platform very successfully.

Comment

Working...
                      X