AMD Driver Support State For Radeon HD 7000 Series, Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a real shame

AMD used to be the better of them for Running FreeBSD ( first to 64bit ect )

they really are shooting them self's in the foot with sales because of lack of drivers for their products

personally I would pay what ever cost might be involved for a blob ( what ever the end user cost ATI / Nvidia must be paying the 3rd party coders )
    I would not care if windows had the Free Drivers an UNIX had the payed for ones as long as they worked !!!

any how thanks for your reply gives me some more info to research into

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      No, you can't. New AMD hardware is only supported in the gallium drivers, which requires KMS, which isn't supported by FreeBSD. Actually, I'm not sure if you can even use new Intel hardware, either, but that would definitely be closer to being supported than AMD.

I just discovered this

PC-BSD 9-STABLE testing snapshot which includes the new DRM/GEM/KMS work is now available to testers.

I might be in luck it seems their are gallium patches out and they are trying to get KMS into FreeBSD 9.1

any how thanks again at least now I know what to keep track off

I can live with out 3d support for now ( as long as XBMC fires up, it didn't like un accelerated Xnest )

Comment

Originally posted by MasterCATZ View Post
        That is a real shame

AMD used to be the better of them for Running FreeBSD ( first to 64bit ect )
        All current open source graphics drivers (amd, intel, and nouveau) require KMS for the latest chips, so you are in the same boat no matter which chip your system has. The source code is available and licensed appropriately so it can ported to FreeBSD or any other OS you might want to use.

Comment

FYI, WEC7 is not even Windows NT-based.

Comment

Working...
          X