Evergreen HDMI audio success, need testers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not safe.

Running as a normal user, I also got segmentation fault, strace told me it was because of lack of permissions to a sysfs-file, so I ran it as root.

Instant system lockup and after a reboot, my ethernet controller was broken.

Rebooted the system, no change.

Powered off the system, removed power cord, let it be for a while, powered on.

Took about 15-20 seconds until it started after powering on, ethernet controller back.

Tried again with another fglrx, same freeze.

I have yet to be able to get the computer to boot (even just spin up the fans before bios).

The power led just keeps blinking and sometimes manages to start spinning up the fans until it dies again and get stuck in a loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenzov View Post
      error segment :-(
      I guess this should read "Segmentation Fault"

Comment

hehehehe ok :-)

Comment

Good work,

so all the other drivers (intel, nouveau) seem to pass the ELD stuff into the hardware at some point, not sure if you can work out from radeontool or you need more tracing to see if this happens on ATI hw.

Comment

If anyone needs the radeontool rpm, the latest version (1.6.2) is here: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...nSUSE_Factory/

Comment

I had an HD 5850 for a year, doing almost exclusive Windows gaming and when switching back to works on Linux, I sold it. One year after being sold, it is still not supported by Linux, it proved again that ATI is for Windows only and investing on hardware for the future support is the stupidest idea.

Comment

In case of lockup

I've tried to prepare patch reading safe registers only. However it may happen some cards lock up when reading that registers from 0x0000 to 0xe000 range.

After lock up you will probably need to power off the machine. In some rare cases taking power cable *and* battery is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
                  In case of lockup

I've tried to prepare patch reading safe registers only. However it may happen some cards lock up when reading that registers from 0x0000 to 0xe000 range.

After lock up you will probably need to power off the machine. In some rare cases taking power cable *and* battery is needed.
                  It's completely family dependant (and also timing dependant) best is to not read this range, also the way radeontool hamer the register backbone doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                    It's completely family dependant (and also timing dependant) best is to not read this range, also the way radeontool hamer the register backbone doesn't help.
                    Unfortunately I can't limit the range of registers. I'm blindly looking for registers used for controlling HDMI (enabling HDMI mode, setting audio and video frames).
                    Even worse: from the early results I've received, it seems DCE4 (early Evergreen) does not have HDMI registers in 0x0000...0xe000.

Comment

Nice, I'll get you the results of my HD5850 - might not be today but it'll be this week.

Comment

Working...
                      X