Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the trick to get gpu-acceleration on vidoe working with amd gpus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the trick to get gpu-acceleration on vidoe working with amd gpus?

Hi,

I have bought a Zacate Notebook so that I can watch 720p Videos with it and do other stuff, but I thought that each dual-core cpu should can handle 720p but I was wrong, so ok I saw in some posts from last year that there was done a working gpu acceleration for amd gpus done libva or something like hat. So I thought install libva-glx and made in vlc the checkbox use experimantel gpu accelleration, but the video is not working gapless anyway it seems it does not work at all, no gpu accelleration.

libva: libva version 0.32.0
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/r600_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns -1
    so whats the trick do I need some drivers from a ppa or what?

Dont say that there is no, not even a unstable experimental implementation for amd chips because I found some news here on the side that said the opposite. And that would say that my zacate system is nearly only a useless brick.

sorry for my frusted attitude but I thought that would be easier. or even that the dualcore amd cpu is just to slow for 720p bluray streams is a bit disappointing because me 5 year old x2 3800 x2 with 2ghz is fast enough, I hope I must not overclock the zacate to 2ghz to get that videos playing ^^

you need the fglrx driver and

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      So I have only the option to have no 720p at all, or use a totaly unstable software which is spyware (closed) nice is there light in the near future somewhere? thats pretty bad. the opensource driver would not make any sense if that option is missing for a long time. if you cant watch videos with it, it kind of mega-sucks.

btw:

black@neptun:~$ grep Xv /var/log/Xorg.0.log
      [ 47.401] (II) RADEON(0): [XvMC] Associated with Radeon Textured Video.
      [ 47.401] (II) RADEON(0): [XvMC] Extension initialized.

that thread is one year old, nothing happend since then?

If I would be cool with closedsource driver blobs, I would have bought some nvidia crap. Opensource is the only thing that makes me a loyal amd "fanboy". I just bought before the zacate an intel atom because amd could not deliver something such cheap and light at this time, but with bad feelings about it. I was a nvidia fan because they did support their newer cards back then, ok with blobs, but that was the best you could get back then, ati basicly did not support its newer chips at all, at the day amd bought ati I was very happy because amd was always linux-friendly but now I get a bit disapointed, if amd not supports such basic things like that. I want not much, no perfect power-management for the cards no fast 3d just a stable fast 2d expericence but even that is to much to ask it seems.
      Last edited by blackiwid; 21 November 2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

If you want video acc with oss drivers you bought the wrong hardware, buy intel instead.

Comment

All radeons support accelerated scaling and colorspace conversion via Xv. For MPEG1 and 2, there is experimental video decode support in mesa using the 3D engine and the gallium pipe video infrastructure.

Comment

Just that you really want at least h264 instead of mpeg2 acc...

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              So I have only the option to have no 720p at all, or use a totaly unstable software which is spyware (closed) nice is there light in the near future somewhere? thats pretty bad. the opensource driver would not make any sense if that option is missing for a long time. if you cant watch videos with it, it kind of mega-sucks.
              Maybe you can try with mplayer? VLC sucks.

that thread is one year old, nothing happend since then?
              Apparently not

Comment

mplayer -lavdopts threads=4
                that seems to be the best what can be done right now with zacate / amd hardware. It is not totaly judder-free but best I?ve seen yet (threads could be only 2 maybe but played a bit to see if it works better with more, gcc option is also recommend cores +1 so maybe 3 would be the best number but then it maybe use the cores uneven

AMD come on you can do better. Stop that crap Intelectual Property Scam dont play that idiotic game. Its poor that our competition system not works everywhere only monopols and the customers have to frett or die.

I thought today how much atomic power plants just have to run because of such stuff, worldwide thats surely 50 or let it be only 5, that would be much money and much risk reduktion of the world to save that.

If not all goverments would be corrupt they could set a few hundret million bounty for such driver-patches. Its really a shame.

Is there at least some hope for the near future to get that fixed? Sucks really hard.

So Crystal HD shit is the only way to get it to work like it should. Thats nice that amd builds in better grafic core if it brings nothing.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 21 November 2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

GPU Acceleration Used to work

It is strange. 2 1/2 years ago I had my AMD 5050e/3300 running full 1080p flawlessly using mplayer and the deprecated radeonHD OSS driver.

Ever since that driver got merged, I have never been able to get this setup working again.

Comment

Originally posted by deck View Post
                    It is strange. 2 1/2 years ago I had my AMD 5050e/3300 running full 1080p flawlessly using mplayer and the deprecated radeonHD OSS driver.

Ever since that driver got merged, I have never been able to get this setup working again.
                    In the early days of radeonhd before acceleration code was merged in people were having a fair amount of success having mplayer output directly to x11, ie something like -vo x11. That probably only works with shadowfb though.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X