No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I always laugh at these "catalyst" releases. Can't see much point in them, especially when you have a superior *AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL* open source driver available. To those complaining about gnome-shell not working with catalyst...... try the radeon driver. Works fine (if you can stand gnome-shell, it really sucks.)

It seems that Michael started off saying something about the "recently released Fedora 11". That has now been changed to "recently released Fedora 17" --- sorry, no that's not right either. Fedora 17 won't be released for another nearly 6 months. Fedora 16 is the one that was recently released.

Aside from all that.... hahahahahaha, you users of binary blob are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Wow, I always laugh at these "catalyst" releases. Can't see much point in them, especially when you have a superior *AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL* open source driver available.
      Simple - the two drivers are focusing on different users and prioritizing different requirements. If you're a 3D workstation user the open source drivers probably don't do what you want, but Catalyst probably does. If you're looking for smooth integration with upstream development, the open source drivers are probably what you want.
      Test signature

Comment

After update on Gentoo kernel 3.1.1 / radeon 4850 from xorg-server 1.10.4 to 1.11.x works stable but when I try to execute some move file ( doesn`t matter which extension ) kde 4.7.3 crashed , xorg server restarts and goes back to kdm login manager. Of course I recompiled drivers, mplayer, ffmpeg,etc and other libraries but it doesn`t work. System log file shows that everything is ok. So, after couple of hours I downgraded to former ver. xorg-server.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Wow, I always laugh at these "catalyst" releases. Can't see much point in them, especially when you have a superior *AND ACTUALLY FUNCTIONAL* open source driver available. To those complaining about gnome-shell not working with catalyst...... try the radeon driver. Works fine (if you can stand gnome-shell, it really sucks.)

It seems that Michael started off saying something about the "recently released Fedora 11". That has now been changed to "recently released Fedora 17" --- sorry, no that's not right either. Fedora 17 won't be released for another nearly 6 months. Fedora 16 is the one that was recently released.

Aside from all that.... hahahahahaha, you users of binary blob are funny.
          I mostly agree but the thing that is holding me and many other people back is Power Management (E-350 APU notebook, HD 6870 desktop). Up to Linux 3.0 at least the profile low brought stuttering on my desktop and I didn't even have profiles on my notebook, but I see that at least for E-350 there seem to be some fixes in Linux 3.2.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I mostly agree but the thing that is holding me and many other people back is Power Management (E-350 APU notebook, HD 6870 desktop). Up to Linux 3.0 at least the profile low brought stuttering on my desktop and I didn't even have profiles on my notebook, but I see that at least for E-350 there seem to be some fixes in Linux 3.2.
            open source driver make Gnome going on fallback session for me, that's holding me...

Comment

works with HD 5650

on the positive side:
              this release is the first one since 11.4 that works with my HD 5650 (Acer Aspire Laptop)

Comment

@paproch

was it a xv only problem or did it crash with gl output as well?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Simple - the two drivers are focusing on different users and prioritizing different requirements. If you're a 3D workstation user the open source drivers probably don't do what you want, but Catalyst probably does. If you're looking for smooth integration with upstream development, the open source drivers are probably what you want.
                  I'm looking for a top notch desktop experience (tear-free and lag-free compositing), watching videos, and playing 3D games in Wine as well as native Linux ones. Which driver do I choose? I can't run both at the same time, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    I'm looking for a top notch desktop experience (tear-free and lag-free compositing), watching videos, and playing 3D games in Wine as well as native Linux ones. Which driver do I choose? I can't run both at the same time, obviously.
                    Mister, you go to wrong place. Instead, go to thread with the writing "nVidia" on it
                    /s

Comment

I need a little help getting this or any other FGLRX driver to work on my system.
                      HP ProBook 4530s with Intel Sandy Bridge + ATI HD6490 card
                      Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                      Problem is that, after I install drivers and do "aticonfig --initial -f" and reboot, Xserver is not starting (segfault). Here is Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/hsnCw47g

This setup worked good on pre-installed OEM SLED 11, but it doesn't work on Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X