Unable to boot distros post kernel 3 on radeon hd 6790

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to boot distros post kernel 3 on radeon hd 6790

I have an issue that currently affects new dstros. The current distros boot to the live desktop but the image is garbled. It clearly shows the garbled image of my win 7 desktop as if it remained as an image in the gpu memory. I have tried many different ways to get a distro to boot. Currently trying ubuntu 11.10 so if any one has any ideas throw them at me.
    Tried:

radeon.modeset=0
    radeon.modeset=1
    nomodeset
    acpi=force
    "acpi_osi " ("" to show space)
    So any other suggestions would be welcome.

Ger.

Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your display or graphics card? Does Windows display properly?

Comment

Hi
      The card is fine - works perfectly in windows and indeed in mint 11
      This happens across two different mobos and also affected the ati 4200 onboard on the other board.
      I was using opensuse tumbleweed and aafter updating the kernel past 3 I had the same issue

Comment

Solved issue!

I've nailed it!!

acpi=off and it boots

I tried it on the off chancwe when I remembered the Dell laptop I had needed it way back and bingo! 11.04 installed and booting.....

So now to see if this will work with 11.10 - should do!!

Comment

or not so solved!

Seems I still have the issue in 11.10 - garbled screen and no desktop above has no impact.

Comment

workaround

I have identified the open source readeon driver as the cause

if I boot ubuntu 11.10 with nomodeset blacklist=radeon 3
            then in tty apt-get install fglrx
            apt-get update
            startx
            I was able to reach the desktop and install, although I had to repeat the process post install
            After which I was there up to the point where there is an issue with the realtek lan lol

Comment

Working...
            X