Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI X.Org Driver Sees Significant Update

Phoronix: ATI X.Org Driver Sees Significant Update

The last time there was an official release of the xf86-video-ati DDX driver was back in May, but this morning Michel D?nzer has announced a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't the VDPAU support in the Mesa driver not the DDX driver?

Comment

The decoding, yes, but a small part has to be in the X driver too, because it deals with displaying the image. This is usually done through Xv, which also belongs in the X driver and not Gallium.

Comment

I wonder if they did anything to improve power management and fan control. My laptop fan spins up uncontrollably as soon as I start using the xorg ati driver, unless I force the low power profile. The situation has been like this for at least a year and I had always thought this sort of thing would resolve quickly.

Comment

Well the only VDPAU commit I can see is http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...b76b60be8bdd8e which is purely so libvdpau can auto load the r600g vdpau driver automatically when it's available

Comment

Originally posted by vertex2 View Post
            I wonder if they did anything to improve power management and fan control. My laptop fan spins up uncontrollably as soon as I start using the xorg ati driver, unless I force the low power profile. The situation has been like this for at least a year and I had always thought this sort of thing would resolve quickly.
            Exactly what i'm hoping for as well. I tried the git version a couple months ago and back then it was unusable due to either high fan speeds, flickering if auto was enabled (and also high fan speeds) or kwin that simply wasn't playing with the low setting and feeling a bit sluggish.

I hope it's fixed, but i bet it isn't.

Comment

I don't think we can expect any interesting new features coming to the Xorg driver anymore. The power management code is in the kernel drm, 3D and video acceleration is in Mesa/Gallium. These are the parts to look for interesting changes. I think the Xorg driver is basically done in terms of features and only gets helper/glue code and updates for newer asics.

Comment

VDPAU for R300!! Sweet!!!! Finally a good feature that isn't supported in the Catalyst drivers..

Anybody know what version of Xorg this change is going to be included in?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  VDPAU for R300!! Sweet!!!! Finally a good feature that isn't supported in the Catalyst drivers..

Anybody know what version of Xorg this change is going to be included in?
                  It's a Mesa feature that will be in 7.12 / 8.0 however only MPEG1 & MPEG2 are currently supported there has been some work on MPEG4 some as of yet unpublished work on h264 and there was an SoC project for WebM

When I last tested VDPAU on my r600 it didn't work and just displayed lots of badly put together green textures https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=41375

Comment

Please specify when writing such things:
                    Tiling is also now enabled on more graphics hardware by default.
                    Color Tiling?
                    Code:
                    [    28.497] (**) RADEON(0): Option "ColorTiling" "on"
                    [    28.529] (II) RADEON(0): KMS Color Tiling: enabled
                    Or 2D-Tiling?
                    Code:
                    R600_TILING=1
                    I suppose, the first one...

Comment

Working...
                    X