This Is What Started AMD's Open-Source Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    sorry i can't click on this link to the source of the claims. do i have to believe your fairy tale ?
    You can believe anything you want.

Perhaps you could start by looking at RadeonFeature (mentions that low causes display problems on some laptops), then look at the various posts here where users find they don't have a working mid setting, and ask yourself "if low and mid aren't options for default, then what is ?".

If you look at agd5f's commits over the last couple of years you'll see various experiments to find default logic that runs with lower power *and* works reliably on all the systems out there, but my impression is that nobody has found a winning combination yet.
    Last edited by bridgman; 17 September 2011, 12:53 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

maybe he is trying to say something like this: "we are to stupid to set the mid profile after the startup"
      No, he is trying to say "if a user manually sets a profile and something bad happens then they can reboot and not set that profile in the future, but if the driver defaults to the same profile at startup and something bad happens then the user is stuck because the same problem will occur on each subsequent boot".

Feel free to substitute "human input device" for "user" where doing so makes you happy.

If a user manually sets a profile (mid, for example) and finds it works well on their system, they can edit a startup file to have that profile set automatically on their system during each subsequent boot.
      Last edited by bridgman; 17 September 2011, 01:24 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

is possible, to "force" system to change to mid/low after system is loaded?
        when reboot, go back to default?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon
          is possible, to "force" system to change to mid/low after system is loaded?
          when reboot, go back to default?
          Manually? See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHo...wer-management.

Comment

You can put the following in your Xsetup or something comparable:

echo profile > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
            echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

I put it into kdm's Xsetup, for example.

Comment

And I use the Debian package sysfsutils.

In /etc/sysfs.conf I have
              Code:
              module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy = powersave

class/drm/card0/device/power_method = profile
              class/drm/card0/device/power_profile = low

owner class/drm/card0/device/power_method = root:video
              owner class/drm/card0/device/power_profile = root:video
              mode class/drm/card0/device/power_method = 0660
              mode class/drm/card0/device/power_profile = 0660
              Specs: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 1GiB with git r600g on Debian Wheezy [testing]. I have a button in my Xfce Panel to toggle between Low and High. After a little gaming, switching down to Low yields a noticeable difference in fan noise, and the GPU temperature drops to 39 C or so (today it's down to 34 C).

Comment

you claim that i claim that dynpm/low should be the default but in reality this is only in your imagination.
                your fight against your own imagination not against my points of view.
                because there is also dynpm/mid and this is not buggy but mid isn't default high is default.

and now explain me why mid is not default??

you can't explain?
                Okay so the fact that you're mentioning "dynpm/mid" shows that you have no idea whatsoever what dynpm is. Because it has nothing to do with the profiles. Furthermore, a lot of chips, like the E-350, don't even have a mid-profile. And finally, the ones that do (e.g. my HD 6870) still have problems with profile mid, although less than with low. If there is even one user that has problems with non-default (non-high), you can't make it the default.

@bridgman: don't waste your energy in arguing with Q. It's hopeless

Comment

I'm curious now, what's broken with low or mid profiles in some cards?

Comment

sorry i can't click on this link to the source of the claims.

do i have to believe your fairy tale ?
                    Q, you either believe him or you don't. If you think he's lying about the problems, then even if he gave you a link you'd just think he faked that discussion or told agd5f to make up that log. If you don't think he's lying, then why not just take him at his word and if you really want to look into the problems yourself then do the search for it rather than making it sound like you think he's lying?

Comment

This is pure evil cynicisms because you county every single user on the non-high side but you don't count any user with problems with high.
                      this kind of autism just hurt people.

without cynic autism you have to do a assessment.

it maybe crashes your brain but i know what it is dynpm is the automatic version without using any profile.
                      but "mid" makes clear i do not mean the automatic version.

you can claim me to write stuff wrong but sorry i know what is going one.

sure it has something do do with the profiles because the dynpm switches automatically the profiles.

what is the problem with mid on your system ?

i think its hopeless to arguing to every one in the way that everyone can not understand why there is no working dynpm as default.

without dynpm you just have a broken product that produces pollution
                      +1
                      i also think power managment is very importand
                      but i cant feel it on my 4850 with accelero s1 and simple 12cm fan on 5v it can cool even 100% stress card to 55*C

the only good thing is, on window my pc is noising high pitch sound, depends on screen picture, and mouse movment, on linux this doesnt appear

cmon, this year concentrate on power management, lets make it milestone
                      next january-june add 3d speed.

focus only at one thing and make it perfect

yea i know, i never made drivers, but i know how to code simple applications, so i play smartass, but cmon, its very important for laptopusers and stockcooling systems

Comment

Working...
                      X