X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psycho Game
    started a topic ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 Overheating

ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 Overheating

I have a strange overheating problem with the video card stated in the topic title.
    I've got this problem since I bought this laptop, and installed linux (Ubuntu) on it.
    I have been using linux on all my other laptops before and never ran into a problem as big as this one.
    The problem is as following: When I start my computer into ubuntu, my laptop starts building up much heat.
    After approximately 10 to 15 minutes my computer powers down, and needs to cool off before I can start it up again.
    I've found some solutions on the internet, by forcing the power management to a low state.
    Also with using proprietary drivers the problem seems to be solved.
    Only i am a big fan of the open-source principle, so of course I'd like to use the open-source radeon driver.
    Has anybody any idea why the open-source driver is causing overheating of the graphics card?
    Also a strange thing to mention is that with the default power profile is that the graphics processor and mem. are clocked to manufacturer clock speeds.
    So to my understanding my hardware should be capable of normal operation under these conditions.
    Hopefully anybody can give me some clarification on this problem.

Kind regards,
    Jasper

• asfalatus
    replied
    Anything new about HD4670 power management?

Leave a comment:

• Prince781
    replied
    Originally posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
    What a glorious fail on a HD4200 frakking with a lovely black screen, on kernel 3.4.x and xorg 1.12.3...

I even dropped the idea of ​​ever use the discrete video card (and I payed for that HD5650), but the reduced battery autonomy from 3:00 to 1:00 (using MID, LOW freezes the screen), make me to huge love the open-source ATI drivers.
    Umm...you do realize you can use the built-in vgaswitcheroo to switch between integrated and discrete cards for most AMD GPUs, right? It should work finely; I have a similar working setup on my HP dv7 with Fedora 17...

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by sstp View Post
    Hello, as i know you somehow related to AMD, i have some suggestion : how about make control mem/gpu clock via kernel args(something like radeon_low_profile=n / radeon_mid_profile=n) ? As i can see a lot of people have invalid profiles info and even this temp solution will work for them. Of course with some foolproof.
    I know i should send suggestions to mailing lists, but i dont know in which one
    dri-devel handles the kernel-side.

Leave a comment:

• sstp
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Can you try the Catalyst driver on a supported distro first, maybe start with Ubuntu 12.04 ?

EDIT - I'm guessing you're talking about the Catalyst legacy driver because that's what you quoted, but if I guessed wrong please reply back. I read your post a few times and wasn't sure if you were talking about latest Catalyst, legacy Catalyst or open source drivers.
    Hello, as i know you somehow related to AMD, i have some suggestion : how about make control mem/gpu clock via kernel args(something like radeon_low_profile=n / radeon_mid_profile=n) ? As i can see a lot of people have invalid profiles info and even this temp solution will work for them. Of course with some foolproof.
    I know i should send suggestions to mailing lists, but i dont know in which one

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    but if they're packaging NVidia drivers (similar legacy model) then they'll already have had to work through that (unless they just package the latest).
    They just package the latest.

And they don't package Catalyst at all. It's up to community repos to provide packages, and also provide packages of older versions of X when Catalyst lags behind in support. But these repos do already contain 12.6-legacy packages.
    Last edited by Gusar; 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LuckyCyborg
    replied
    Can you try the Catalyst driver on a supported distro first, maybe start with Ubuntu 12.04 ?

EDIT - I'm guessing you're talking about the Catalyst legacy driver because that's what you quoted, but if I guessed wrong please reply back. I read your post a few times and wasn't sure if you were talking about latest Catalyst, legacy Catalyst or open source drivers.
    Yes, I talking about the Catalyst Legacy that epic fail, with no indication of the cause.

And about the lack of PM support of open source drivers.

Finally, I apologize for the words a little hot, but by some days I struggle to make this laptop to work again (with Catalyst). And I failing...
    Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied

Last edited by bridgman; 07-31-2012, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LuckyCyborg
    replied
    There's also the first Catalyst driver from the legacy branch with should support HD4xxx and X server 1.12. .
    What a glorious fail on a HD4200 frakking with a lovely black screen, on kernel 3.4.x and xorg 1.12.3...

I even dropped the idea of ​​ever use the discrete video card (and I payed for that HD5650), but the reduced battery autonomy from 3:00 to 1:00 (using MID, LOW freezes the screen), make me to huge love the open-source ATI drivers.

To remember that my laptop thinks it's a toaster?

Man, it's incredible that AMD does not implement this PM frakking right! You guys are led by a tribal leader from Central Africa, which has no idea that your graphics cards are just not usable?

I do not want 3D games and, honestly, I had no idea that this laptop has two video cards when I bought it, still I simply want to use my laptop with a decent modern Linux.

You can be sure I will not buy a laptop with Radeon graphics ever, but how do I use this which I am?

Leave a comment:

• asfalatus
    replied
    Thank you for your very fast reply.
    I will try the OSS driver at first because it has numerous advantages over binary blob.
    If the problem will persists then I have to switch to legacy branch and stick with it until advanced pm will be implemented in oss drv.
    I think I read something about additional documentation over pm released by AMD.

So maybe in the near future surprises will happen...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X