Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600g Now Works With Xorg State Tracker

Phoronix: R600g Now Works With Xorg State Tracker

While the ATI/AMD R300 Gallium3D driver has long worked with the Xorg state tracker, for providing EXA and X-Video acceleration atop this next-generation Mesa driver architecture, the R600 Gallium3D driver that supports all modern Radeon GPUs now works with the Xorg state tracker too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has anyone tested the xorg state tracker recently?

I keep hearing it's the future (which is probably true), but I couldn't find a reason to switch from xf86-video-ati yet. Is it stable and feature complete enough for end-users yet?

Comment

How do you use that anyway? Is it an xorg.conf tweak?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        How do you use that anyway? Is it an xorg.conf tweak?
        By analogy with r300g?
        Driver "radeong" in xorg.conf

Comment

Someone should run that HWACCEL test in Firefox with this, along with some other xrender tests.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            Has anyone tested the xorg state tracker recently?

I keep hearing it's the future (which is probably true), but I couldn't find a reason to switch from xf86-video-ati yet.
            I was running into a problem with my computer going into hard lock with some types of flash video.
            With adobe flash the opengl acceleration is turned off for any sort of driver that has 'SGI' string in 'glxinfo'. (run 'glxinfo|grep -i sgi').

So this means that with any open source driver the OpenGL support for composting in Flash is disabled.

You can override this by putting "OverrideGPUValidation=true" in "/etc/adobe/mms.cfg"

That will force Flash to use OpenGL for full screen compositing.

When I did this it made the hard locks go away and improved performance. Now HD flash video plays smoothly on my Gallium-using system. What this ultimately means is that it was not the Gallium driver that was causing issues, it was the old 2D xrender stuff that was causing the hard lock... which is what Flash uses in non-OpenGL mode.

When moving to having 2D stuff running in a state tracker it will actually probably slow down many different 2D-only functions. But it will mean that composited desktops and anything else with mixed 2D/3D stuff will run much better. Also it means that there will be safer, too...

So while there is no reason to move now, it is certainly something to look forward too.

Comment

http://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus - xorg state tracker is market as "DEPRECATED" - is it true?

Comment

Originally posted by rampage7 View Post
                http://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus - xorg state tracker is market as "DEPRECATED" - is it true?
                The old xorg state tracker was abandoned. This is a new one that vmware created for their svga driver.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                  I was running into a problem with my computer going into hard lock with some types of flash video.
                  With adobe flash the opengl acceleration is turned off for any sort of driver that has 'SGI' string in 'glxinfo'. (run 'glxinfo|grep -i sgi').

So this means that with any open source driver the OpenGL support for composting in Flash is disabled.

You can override this by putting "OverrideGPUValidation=true" in "/etc/adobe/mms.cfg"

That will force Flash to use OpenGL for full screen compositing.

When I did this it made the hard locks go away and improved performance. Now HD flash video plays smoothly on my Gallium-using system. What this ultimately means is that it was not the Gallium driver that was causing issues, it was the old 2D xrender stuff that was causing the hard lock... which is what Flash uses in non-OpenGL mode.

When moving to having 2D stuff running in a state tracker it will actually probably slow down many different 2D-only functions. But it will mean that composited desktops and anything else with mixed 2D/3D stuff will run much better. Also it means that there will be safer, too...

So while there is no reason to move now, it is certainly something to look forward too.
                  Do you have a location for that config file in rpm distros?

Comment

You just make it.

sudo mkdir -p /etc/adobe/
                    echo "OverrideGPUValidation=true" | sudo tee /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

OverrideGPUValidation
                    OverrideGPUValidation = [ 0, 1 ] (0 = false, 1 = true)
                    Availability: Flash Player 10.0.2
                    The GPU compositing feature is gated by the driver version for video cards. If a card and driver combination does not
                    match the requirements needed to implement compositing, set OverrideGPUValidation to 1 to override validation of
                    the driver requirements. For example, you might want GPU compositing enabled during a specific test suite, even if
                    the video driver in the test machine doesn?t meet compositing requirements. This setting overrides driver version
                    gating but still checks for VRAM requirements.
                    Adobe recommends that you use this setting with care. Overriding GPU validation can result in rendering problems
                    or system crashes due to driver issues. After completing the tests or programming tasks that require the use of this
                    setting, consider setting it back to 0 (or removing it from the mms.cfg file) for normal operation

Comment

Working...
                    X