Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of ATI Linux 2007

Coming Out Next Week (4th of July).

Michael Larabel is an American entrepreneur, software engineer, and open-source/Linux performance analyst.

Last Year's: http://www.phoronix.com/?page=redblog_entry&item=4850

Discussion can take place in this thread.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

This will be a short article. Still no AIGLX, still no performance improvements, fixed some bugs, introduced some new bugs. That's it. Oh, I forget the amdcccle, the only real improvement I can think of now.

Comment

"the developers were very busy preparing the slides for development cycle article. but they managed to write a new shiny control panel in their free time" - the most likely excuse i expect to hear from ati this year :]

Comment

Interesting read. If I understood it correctly, the new OpenGL driver will most likely bring AIGLX and R600 Support? I didn't know that AIGLX is part of the OpenGL driver. Or did I missread something?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Interesting read. If I understood it correctly, the new OpenGL driver will most likely bring AIGLX and R600 Support? I didn't know that AIGLX is part of the OpenGL driver. Or did I missread something?
          AIGLX and R600 support should be out in the near future, as stated in the article.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah I know, I am just not to sure whether AIGLX and R600 Support will come together with the new OpenGL driver or at anytime, not depending on the OpenGL driver.

I learned to wait, so I will wait.

Start thinking of new fglrx driver names then, the ones from the thread you've opened are funny but no real candidates. Damn, I hope we'll find new reasons to hate fglrx when it adds R600, Performance and AIGLX

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Yeah I know, I am just not to sure whether AIGLX and R600 Support will come together with the new OpenGL driver or at anytime, not depending on the OpenGL driver.

I learned to wait, so I will wait.

Start thinking of new fglrx driver names then, the ones from the thread you've opened are funny but no real candidates. Damn, I hope we'll find new reasons to hate fglrx when it adds R600, Performance and AIGLX
              R600 support, I'll believe- maybe even by the end of this year
              AIGLX, I might believe- maybe even by the end of this year.
              Performance... That remains to be seen.

Comment

I find it optimistic.
                Michael certainly does.
                Which adds to my point that I refuse to believe that ATi are that stupid.

Comment

I certainly hope the improvements will happen soon enough.
                  Right now, my powerful-enough-for-me system with an AGP slot needs a video card, and in terms of power, I found the ATI X1650 Pro to be the strongest within my $100 budget.
                  But I'm too scared to buy it, as I won't get to buy another card for some time, if ATI doesn't release the new set of drivers. So I'll be stuck with it :/ I just hope the new drivers have improved performance.

Do you think I should buy it, and play a waiting game for better drivers?
                  Or is there a better card that is within my budget? (or a tad higher)

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Extreme Coder; 04 July 2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Damn, I hope we'll find new reasons to hate fglrx when it adds R600, Performance and AIGLX
                    you'll probably have one - "buggy as hell"

well, it's nice to see people starting to hope for better drivers again, for a change. but did ati give us a good reason to start hoping again? i guess i missed something

Comment

Working...
                    X