Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.7 Driver For Linux Brings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slojam View Post
    Yes several of us have the lower right corner freeze up bug. Sounds like it is still present in 11.7.
    Except that i can't say a bad word against fglrx driver, i don't know why it has such a bad reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
      It's nice to see Linux 3.0 Kernel support so quickly after its release. I hope it's not just a matter of luck, and that AMD will continue to catch up with that.
      No surprise here, there was nothing revolutionary in the 3.0 release, just changed naming convention, the rest was evolution so nothing hard for AMD to do

Comment

Originally posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
        It's been reported by someone else already so there was no need to file a duplicate bug report.
        Just for your information I think bug priority is depend on number of reports about this bug from users.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Just for your information I think bug priority is depend on number of reports about this bug from users.
          It depends on the severity of the bug, even with one report only this bug should have been fixed long time ago but the problem is that the logo is a static structure and they can't get rid of that like that. They need it for example to show unsupported hardware.

Comment

Except that i can't say a bad word against fglrx driver, i don't know why it has such a bad reputation.
            The bad reputation come from past, they have improved it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by expectATIon View Post
              Anyone tried it with Gnome Shell?
              It is still crappy...

Comment

Today I tested compiz 0.9.5. But mplayer with vaapi output locked the laptop completely.
                Code:
                [109185.311679] BUG: scheduling while atomic: mplayer/659/0x00000002
                I have no doubt it's because of fglrx'.

Video acceration for h.264 high@L5 still doesn't work I heard.

A friend of mine has a hd 5570 or something like that and not even xvideo works properly (gl2/X11 does).

Tearing is horrible with out the anti tearing feature and when enabled the anti tearing feature produces "microlagg". Most people wouldn't care but I do.
                Also, they don't quite get rid of the frozen framebuffer when exiting a 3d fullscreen application when tearfree is enabled. It happens quite often that the last frame is stuck on the screen and you have to go to a tty and back to X to get refreshing images again.

Games do work quite well, but especially in wine when comparing with nvidia, nvidia renders more smoothly. I cannot better describe it as this "microlagg" again.
                Also, this has been a long time around: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=162

HDMI output was broken with 11.6. I always had to connect a screen via VGA, start xrandr, disconnect it and connect the screen via HDMI and start xrandr again. That produced some error output but then HDMI output was finally usable. But sometimes then the mouse pointer could not get on the right screen so I had to move the screens with xrandr until it finally worked. I have yet to check whether it works better with 11.7.

Also, they still can't run gnome shell, one of the biggest desktop environments around.

That's only what immediately comes to my mind. I'm sure I'd get more if I thought a bit harder.

Comment

So does this include support for people with an amd gfx card who have suffered purchasing a sandy bridge laptop and cant get descrete gfx and dedicated gfx working together?

Comment

only llano laptops with a discrete card, i think

Comment

The following sums up my current problems with the drivers (on a 5770)
                      1. Lower right corner mouse issue
                      2. No support for gnome 3
                      3. Performance in KDE is worse than the OSS drivers. I think it's reasonable to expect windows to minimize without lag on a modern graphics card.
                      4. Tearing seems to be ever-present. Enabling tear-free desktop introduces microlag which makes watching movies pretty much unbearable.
                      5. Hardware acceleration for videos is not hassle-free and only works half of the time
                      6. Wine games lag.

And generally, support for newer software/hardware takes a while. Basically their support for modern desktops is shoddy at best. Most of the problems have been around for a while and when I take a look the changes, I honestly question where priorities lie at AMD since issues like the right corner bug seems more prevalent than "mouse pointer positioning problems on rotated screens".

Comment

Working...
                      X