Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.38.6 Display Driver Released -- The Least To Report On Driver In Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
    Sorry fellas, i'm having period i guess today )
    Just now, on my laptop booted to windows xp pro, went to ati site, find drivers, choose os, choose my card, latest driver says - we are sorry your system is not compatible with this release. Please contact your laptop vendor.

WHAT? WTF??? are they off their nut??

This is a bottom line - ati seem to be going down hill very fast.
    With Windows XP you are supposed to get the Catalyst driver for Mobility Radeon from their respective vendors. However, I know there is some utility out there for Windows so you can run the mainstream driver with your Mobility Radeon. I think it might be available from DriverHeaven.net.

For Linux, you can use the mainstream driver fine with the Mobility Radeon chips.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      The comments from the feedback page are read, but not by the people who really should be reading them.

They will not be posting any roadmap. [adblock]
      i bet the feedback goes through PR team first.

so that "your drivers suck!" translates "thank you for the wonderful drivers. there are however certain issues that need to be resolved, before i can full enjoy ati/amd experience on my computer"

Comment

Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
        Sorry fellas, i'm having period i guess today )
        Just now, on my laptop booted to windows xp pro, went to ati site, find drivers, choose os, choose my card, latest driver says - we are sorry your system is not compatible with this release. Please contact your laptop vendor.

WHAT? WTF??? are they off their nut??

This is a bottom line - ati seem to be going down hill very fast.
        I used to have the same problem... Just download the driver from this url (for Windows, of course): http://www.ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/.

Works fine for me for a long time now...

I hope it works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
          I used to have the same problem... Just download the driver from this url (for Windows, of course): http://www.ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/.

Works fine for me for a long time now...

I hope it works for you.
          Thanks for your reply, i was aiming to prove that it's not the *linux only* problem when it comes to ati.
          I have a driver 8.293.1 under windows... but since they claim to release drivers every month.... i'm a few months behind
          and a simple task just does not cut it.

Comment

At least there seems to be no new bugs. Im just hoping they are pouring all their resources into the orca codebase and not that their resources are so limited that they can barely keep up with bugfixes and kernel/xorg changes

Comment

Resource(s) ?

=P

Comment

Originally posted by domzanator View Post
                I've just got it up and running on Fedora 7 after afew alterations:-

Had to downgrade my x server-
                rpm -U --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7.i386.rpm

Ran the ati.run file; installed custom with kernel modules:-

Then there was a dependency that i was missing; which i grabbed with yum -
                yum install compat-libstdc++-33

Once that is all done just add fglrx into you xorg file and away you go.

So far i haven't tried enabling DRI. I'm using a Mobility X1700... So far so good. Once the open-source ati driver kicks it to second gear with AIGLX support i'm gonna swap over. Until then i would say stick with what you've got.

Peace out,
                Dom
                Hey guys,

Just a quicky for all you FC7 lovers out there...
                I stumbled upon a hickup when i did a yum update; it updated my xorg-x11-org from 1.2 back to 1.3. Good way to avoid this is:-

vi /etc/yum.conf

[main]
                cachedir=/var/cache/yum
                keepcache=0
                debuglevel=2
                logfile=/var/log/yum.log
                exactarch=1
                obsoletes=1
                gpgcheck=1
                plugins=1
                exclude=xorg-x11-server-Xorg*
                metadata_expire=1800
                xorg-x11-server-Xorg*
                # PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
                # in /etc/yum.repos.d

-----------

adding the exclude=xorg-x11-server-Xorg*

however i was too late and my yum update over wrote my xorg server...

now that yum has updated it all; there will be a dependency with ati fc7 driver with the update xorg... best was to fix this is with the following line:-

rpm -U --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7.i386.rpm --nodeps

And thats my 2 cents,

Peace...
                Dom
                Last edited by domzanator; 27 June 2007, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  There will be no special driver release out in the next week or two.
                  Yeah that's what I learned from the roadmap you published (thanks!) so hell will prolly freeze over before ATI will deviate from their development cycle. Nevertheless I wanted to get my opinion out on this subject. Who knows, maybe one day ATI will actually listen to their customers.

Comment

the thing is - we are not ati's customers. we buy our gfx cards off 3rd party companies that use ati's chips. (e.g. gigabyte or sapphire).

and that sucks.

my card isn't even recognized as an original ati card, and instead as an 3rd party card by fglrx (gigabyte x1300pro). might become unsupported at any moment if something snaps in ati's management heads.

Comment

So if this release doesn't work with xserver 1.3, I guess that means it's broken for Debian Unstable as well?

What a f***ing joke! Who cares about "video tearing" when the driver doesn't even START on recent distributions?

And what is the point of a 3 month long QA test if the current drivers aren't usable? How is it possible to have a 3 month long QA test for each release and still not do anything about all the extremely annoying bugs in the unofficial bugzilla, such as the screen corruption and mouse corruption? Do they spend 3 months to make sure the problems are still there?

Is there a place where we can get beta drivers 3 months early? I couldn't care less about the poor excuse for "QA" that ATI is so proud of.

I'm almost considering quitting my current job just to get rid of the piece of s**t ATI laptop I'm being forced to use.

Comment

Working...
                      X