Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.38.6 Display Driver Released -- The Least To Report On Driver In Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lenrek
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
    People commenting about composite: it doesn't work correctly?
    From my experience, it can be enabled, but not usable (screen corruptions all over the place).

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    If this driver isn't your cup of tea, name the next ATI driver: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas
    replied
    Another useless driver release by ATI...

I feel sorry for you FC7 users...

People commenting about composite: it doesn't work correctly?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by lowlands View Post
    ATI: do the right thing and release a new driver with X.org 1.3 (F7 and prolly others) support this week or at the most next week. It's the least you can do to compensate for your (hopefully still) loyal customers.
    There will be no special driver release out in the next week or two.

Leave a comment:

• Raven3x7
    replied
    Those "crappy" 8600gts are starting to look better and better to me...
    Just maybe sometimes its better to not release anything than release something largely irrelevant. On a side note xorg 1.3 seems quite stable to me in Arch

Leave a comment:

• karthikrg
    replied
    Originally posted by lenrek View Post
    Well... At least something new, after more than 1 and half year of using ATi...
    so does support for composite mean we are getting nearer to AIGLX support in the near future?? I am hoping for something exciting to happen on the ati linux driver front esp. with the proposed openGL code rewrite release scheduled for aug. (acc 2 the rumour mills atleast)

Leave a comment:

• lenrek
    replied
    Originally posted by karthikrg View Post
    hmm DRI+composite.. so this driver has something after all.. and my fglrx has worked for the first time after 8.32.5..
    Well... At least something new, after more than 1 and half year of using ATi...

Leave a comment:

• lowlands
    replied
    I'm deeply disappointed with ATI that they did not fix their driver to work properly with Fedora 7. I understand that RHEL5 is more important from a commercial point of view. But wait a minute, RHEL5 is pretty much FC6. Wasn't that already working?! What were ATI's developers doing last month?! Clueless PHB directives withstanding, this release really should at least have had support for F7.

ATI: assuming F7 support will be in the next release (and I'll prolly win the lottery too...) the driver is still lacking AIXGL. This story is getting very lame and one can read in comments here and on the web that people are getting rather tired with the way ATI is treating them.

ATI: you are pushing your luck with your users and prospects beyond comprehension. You do realize that if you do not provide your market with the features they need that they will vote with their dollars (next time) when they need to buy a new GPU, right?

ATI: do the right thing and release a new driver with X.org 1.3 (F7 and prolly others) support this week or at the most next week. It's the least you can do to compensate for your (hopefully still) loyal customers.

Leave a comment:

• karthikrg
    replied
    hmm DRI+composite.. so this driver has something after all.. and my fglrx has worked for the first time after 8.32.5..

Leave a comment:

• lenrek
    replied
    Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    The release notes say that we still have to disable Composite?
    From the release notes:

Corruption may be observed with certain applications on some Linux distributions which enable the Composite extension by default, e.g., RHEL 5. If you are observing application corruption, please disable the Composite extension. Further details can be found in topic number 737-28224
    So, there maybe some problem for certain situation. However, interestingly, I manage to enable both Composite + DRI (for the first time)!

Code:
    # grep Composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (**) Extension "Composite" is enabled

# grep DRI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
    (**) fglrx(0): Option "NoDRI" "no"
    (**) fglrx(0): NoDRI = NO
    (II) Loading extension ATIFGLRXDRI
    (II) fglrx(0): doing DRIScreenInit
    (II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
    (II) fglrx(0): DRI initialization successfull!
    (II) fglrx(0): [DRI] installation complete
    So far, no problem yet...

EDIT: Unfortunately, if I run xcompmgr -c, I got a lot of screen corruption (as stated in the release notes). So, even though I can enable it in the xorg.conf, it is still not usable. But, I guess this can be reason to be hopeful. Maybe the next release will be better.
    Last edited by lenrek; 26 June 2007, 07:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X