No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon HD 6000 Series Still Borked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, the HD5870 finally arrived. First impression (with a 4 weeks old graphical stack and an Athlon64 3800+ X2): slow, SLOW, SLOW.
    Too much slow for such a monster, my Intel HD3000 is faster with nexuiz
    Obviously the HD3000 runs on a Core i5 2500K, but the Athlon64 3800+ X2 was overclocked @2.7Ghz
    It doesn't seem faster than the HD3870, next week I will do some real benchmarks.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Ok, the HD5870 finally arrived. First impression (with a 4 weeks old graphical stack and an Athlon64 3800+ X2): slow, SLOW, SLOW.
      Obviously the HD3000 runs on a Core i5 2500K, but the Athlon64 3800+ X2 was overclocked @2.7Ghz
      It doesn't seem faster than the HD3870, next week I will do some real benchmarks.
      How unfortunate. Soon I will buy new PC, and I am still in doubt. Llano or SB? No discrete GPU, Linux only.

Comment

Sandy Bridge rocks, it's so damn fast:

I will benchmark the HD5870 on the Core i5 2500K, I'm pretty sure it's cpu limited.
        Last edited by darkbasic; 07 July 2011, 01:42 PM.
        ## VGA ##

Comment

Thanks for your replies!
          I understand your situation. I have gtx260sp216 card with 1792 megs of gddr3, of course it is LARGE card, but very powerful (less in era of 460/560+ but still its useable only with blob, and fermi support is even more damaged). So you have this card, payed for it and you expect it to perform. 5870 with gddr5, wee, yes - MONSTER.
          You insert the card and heh... Yes.
          So you stand there, between the unfree decision - opensource and borked, or blob and working investment.
          And if even your blob driver is flawed(like it was in 4670 era, several years ago), you want to throw the card in trash...

Still radeon has most stakes of becoming somehow usable open AND performing driver. Its these 5 developers vs 2,000 that ultimately decide. Official AMD keeps telling me: a boat with least interest will get least amount of purchases, and I keep telling them : a boat with most developer attention will get most interest and most amount of purchases.

I think their whole strategy is to attract new programmers and somehow get part of nvidia-only performance gpu cake in linux by dream a of open driver. Well, at least they fixed the closed driver so you can use the card to some degree and keep it; and some talented people(students) appreciate open driver and work on it... doing their job, fixing their own boat.

I think the root of the problem lies within secret partnerships - ie they are not interested in selling their cards for use within linux. But not much of the concurrence here, nvidia is actually becoming crappier and crappier in linux support.

Comment

Sandy Bridge rocks, it's so damn fast:

I will benchmark the HD5870 on the Core i5 2500K, I'm pretty sure it's cpu limited.
            Haha, intel used linux information to further push winblows driver. Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              meybe you just need to wait and in 2012 you buy an hd8000 and your opensource dream come true.
              Lets hope God does not mess it up in December.

Comment

Here is Unigine Heaven, it's somehow faster there...

## VGA ##

Comment

r600g is in solid enough shape now that the lack of an optimizing shader compiler is beginning to hurt.

Comment

@darkbasic

I'm having trouble accessing your site for some days now. Works via a proxy though.

Comment

Uhm... where do you live? Maybe it's a problem with my load balancing implementation, can you try with http://diego.linuxsystems.it/ which doesn't have any kind of load bal? It's htpassword protected, so you should just see the login.
                      Also, can you resolve the name? 'host linuxsystems.it' or 'dig +short linuxsystems.it'
                      Thank you for reporting.

Edit:
                      My entire network has an interconnected and centralized banning system, if your ip does something wrong in a server you will be banned from my entire network. I have disabled it now, but it may have been the problem...
                      Last edited by darkbasic; 08 July 2011, 05:52 AM.
                      ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                      X