No announcement yet.

Open-Source Radeon HD 6000 Series Still Borked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will wait till opengl3 with more than mediocre performance happens.
    Still, you cant go wrong with 5870 for performance if you accept proprietary driver.
    Pity opensource has no video acceleration as well. The main shortcoming of evergreen top class is VLIW5, which very often stays incompletely utilized, hence in 6xxx cayman they switched to VLIW4 grouping.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      IPity opensource has no video acceleration as well.
      It has video acceleration, just not decoding.

Scaling, colour conversion and the like are fully accelerated.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Thank you very much, I will buy an HD5870. It's a pity that we have to wait so much for a decent support, my money will not go to amd becuase it's an old card and there is a big market for used cards. Hopefully in the future we will have a decent day one support (at least in git master).
        I found a brand new HD5870 sold at 120?, can't wait to test evergreen support in mesa
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I found a brand new HD5870 sold at 120?, can't wait to test evergreen support in mesa
          Thats VERY cheap! Say, when and if you get one, could you please writeup a short summary of whats working and whats not?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            could you please writeup a short summary of whats working and whats not?
            Yes, I will. I'm really, really curious to know if I can get more than 10fps in unigine heaven with R600g
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

most likely your driver is not correctly installed. unigine heaven can be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                state_tracker/st_glsl_to_tgsi.cpp:2886:simplify_cmp: Assertion `inst->dst.index < 256' failed.
                Trace/breakpoint trap
                Wasn't the st_glsl_to_tgsi.cpp file added by Plombo in his branch getting rid of the Mesa IR? I don't think it's present in git master or 7.11.

Looks like that optimization pass is the first one getting called in his code, before a lot of the code removal passes. Possibly Unigine's shaders just use more than 256 temps before being simplified. Whatever the cause, this looks like a problem in his branch only. You could try bumping that constant up to 512 to see if it fixes things.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 04 July 2011, 03:10 AM.

Comment

i try it for you: 0FPS
                  Mesa warning: glDraw[Range]Elements(start 297, end 1072, count 2253, type 0x1403, indices=0x9c0)
                  end is out of bounds (max=1071) Element Buffer 59 (size 7002)
                  This should probably be fixed in the application.
                  Mesa warning: glDraw[Range]Elements(start 297, end 1072, count 2253, type 0x1403, indices=0x9c0)
                  end is out of bounds (max=1071) Element Buffer 59 (size 7002)
                  This should probably be fixed in the application.
                  If you are using my PPA these warnings are showed because I build mesa with --enable-debug. These are probably errors in the application, and should be reported to Uningine.

state_tracker/st_glsl_to_tgsi.cpp:2886:simplify_cmp: Assertion `inst->dst.index < 256' failed.
                  Trace/breakpoint trap
                  This looks indeed a problem with the glsl-to-tgsi branch which I am currently merging in the PPA.

EDIT: I reported this to Bryan Cain, hopefully he will fix it.
                  Last edited by oibaf; 04 July 2011, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    If you are using my PPA these warnings are showed because I build mesa with --enable-debug. These are probably errors in the application, and should be reported to Uningine.

This looks indeed a problem with the glsl-to-tgsi branch which I am currently merging in the PPA.

EDIT: I reported this to Bryan Cain, hopefully he will fix it.
                    I assume you work via freedesktop.. Do you have some sort of debugging pool - a list with task and detailed instructions, so users with cards can perform the tests and report. Some sort of distributed debug pool. Many people do not program, but many have the hardware to test.
                    I know about fedora on this subject btw.

Comment

Yes, I will. I'm really, really curious to know if I can get more than 10fps in unigine heaven with R600g
                      Ty, very much!

i can check your personal checklist with my hd5670...

just ask your needs.
                      I know. But purchasing 5870 monster is something not made overnight... given the electricity draw amount over time alone. Its vliw5 card, driver performance is very heavy affected by optimization as far as I understand. Michael did splendid review on nvidia vs amd powerdraw and catalyst vs radeon performance. But still
                      for both drivers on 5870 or very similar architecture
                      1) powerdraw in idle and in performance modes, speed and intelligence of switching (you need external 10? measurement device for this)
                      2) 2D, compiz and 3D bugs
                      3) -"- features
                      4) -"- performance(in native games and compiz)
                      5) opencl... please?
                      6) wine (sometimes, 2d and 3d - say fallout2 and painkiller)
                      7) monitor support
                      8) detailed setup, its ok to have 160 page, but have it covered. Preferably in one place.

Comment

Working...
                      X