X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with a supported card you just do:
    Code:
    aticonfig --initial --nobackup
    you definitely do NOT need a xorg.conf before, it is even better when there is no configfile.

Comment

Ahh, thanks Kano, I thought that was the case, but it's been a while since I touched it so I wasn't certain and didn't want to give misleading info without double checking back at my own machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        with a supported card you just do:
        Code:
        aticonfig --initial --nobackup
        you definitely do NOT need a xorg.conf before, it is even better when there is no configfile.
        Thanks Kano, I knew somebody here will have a hint :-) Have to try when I am home again.

Comment

lockup on HD 5600

Hi everybody,

I am seeing lockups on an Acer Aspire laptop with HD 5600 graphics card.
          Catalyst 11.5 was locking up as well, 11.4 is fine.
          Has anyone else seen this, and has any pointers ?

Thanks,

Markus

Comment

consumer catalyst does definitely not support Firepro

So Kanos hint was true. aticonfig is able to produce a basic xorg file. The other part is, only Catalyst Pro does support FirePro cards. As I expected :-(

Comment

Does not matter much, a very simple file is enough:
              Code:
              Section "Device"
              Identifier "ATI card"
              Driver "fglrx"
              EndSection
              Any identifier will do.

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                So Kanos hint was true. aticonfig is able to produce a basic xorg file. The other part is, only Catalyst Pro does support FirePro cards. As I expected :-(
                Well not in my case: I've got a firepro 5800 working well with 11.5 (and previously with 11.4 etc) Note that I use rpmfusion packed rpms for fedora (though I remember that I had managed to install ati provided binary). All I needed was to remove the "unsupported hardware" watermark, script provided by Kano.

Comment

Originally posted by mweiss38 View Post
                  Hi everybody,

I am seeing lockups on an Acer Aspire laptop with HD 5600 graphics card.
                  Catalyst 11.5 was locking up as well, 11.4 is fine.
                  Has anyone else seen this, and has any pointers ?

Thanks,

Markus
                  A bit more info would be nice:
                  Distribution, is the HD5600 the only card on board, where/when do the lockups occur...

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    A bit more info would be nice:
                    Distribution, is the HD5600 the only card on board, where/when do the lockups occur...
                    This is an Acer Aspire 7741G laptop, which has the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, no other card on board. Standard openSUSE 11.4 distribution.
                    Lockup occurs on boot, as soon as X starts up (black screen, with frozen textcursor in the top-left corner, ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't work, ctrl-alt-del works). booting without modesetting (nomodeset on kernel commandline) doesn't help, but I can boot into runlevel 3 without problems.
                    I haven't found anything obvious in the logfiles

Comment

Originally posted by mweiss38 View Post
                      booting without modesetting (nomodeset on kernel commandline) doesn't help, but I can boot into runlevel 3 without problems.
                      I haven't found anything obvious in the logfiles
                      Booting without modesetting doesn't help because fglrx doesn't support KMS to begin with, so it's always without modesetting. If there's nothing obvious in the logs it will be very hard to guess what's going on. Your best bet is to go back to version 11.4 until a newer version works and file a bug report on the unofficial catalyst bug tracker.

Comment

Working...
                      X