No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.6 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no support for kernel 2.6.39 and/or X server 1.10.2 on Arch Linux, so continuing to use Radeon driver.

Comment

You mean no support for KMS? I was using Catalyst 11.5, and since yesterday 11.6 in Arch with no problems, no hang-ups, and nice performance (much better than xf86-video-ati for sure). But since there is no KMS support, I had to accept large font in ctrl-Fx console, but it's still the only bigger drawback.

Comment

If they ever install the new Catalyst driver on that Llano system that you have remote access to, would you care to re-benchmark with the new driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
          Still no support for kernel 2.6.39 and/or X server 1.10.2 on Arch Linux, so continuing to use Radeon driver.
          What?
          Code:
          chris@chrisl ~ % pacman -Q xorg-server
          xorg-server 1.10.2-1
          chris@chrisl ~ % uname -a
          Linux chrisl 3.0.0-rc3-mainline #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 14 12:32:26 UTC 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
          chris@chrisl ~ % pacman -Q catalyst-3.0.0-rc3-mainline
          catalyst-3.0.0-rc3-mainline 11.6-1
          chris@chrisl ~ % fglrxinfo
          display: :0.0  screen: 0
          OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
          OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series
          OpenGL version string: 4.1.10834 Compatibility Profile Context
          chris@chrisl ~ %
          Not more problems than usually encountered with fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            No.
            Still "VESA: CAPILANO".
            = horrible performance and graphics corruption in the panel and in the icons.
            thx for pointing that out, i guess i'll wait a little longer with this

Comment

@slojam

The md5sums are integrated in the installer, use -c option to check only (it is a makeself mod similar to nvidia, but there the creation script is also included for the add patch option). You don't find out silent updates however, those happen from time to time, in most cases only the control file (and aticonfig) changes in order to "support" more cards. That is completely useless as the driver is always generic and all really supported cards you can see in the source of the fglrx kernel module. aticonfig just does not run on unsupported gpus and you get a stupid watermark in one corner.

Otherwise the driver was similar as usual to the one before, i only needed to change the version string (and the supported pci ids) in my script. Kernel 3.0 needs the same patches as .39, those have been included for several months now in my fglrx script. It is only tested with Kanotix (with 11-6) but feel free to check it out on U too.

Comment

the must have done something right in it
                my multiseat work with this release
                had to stick with 11.3 or the second X crashed with segfault

Comment

This makes me wonder, why do they have this really strange old user interface there instead of using the style defined by the system? If someone doesn't have GTK/Qt installed, they could still access it using the command line, or use the current one as a fallback...

Comment

More than a month and half for this...

Comment

By saying "No support for kernel 2.6.39" I meant that the binary driver won't compile for me. It fails with an error complaining about the lack of "smp_lock.h". I don't install Catalyst using Pacman because removing it by necessity takes the whole KDE desktop along with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X