AMD Catalyst 11.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 11.6

alright, I just installed 11.6......honestly I have never been more livid with a release, last release there was a bug that causes everything to freeze up for a second or two and revs up the cpu all the way every single time u make the incredible mistake of moving ur f###ing mouse near the lower right corner of ur screen.....now such a glaring and frustrating bug in one release is annoying, but no ones perfect. However to have the same glaring bug which basically ruins my computing experience in the next release is intolerable. It just goes to show how much time and effort they really put into these releases. I have finally had it, after tolerating the pain in the ass of ati for over a year with my 5770, I have finally given up, if the open source drivers had power management that didn't keep my card idling at 56C they might be an option, but as that is not the case I am in the process of ordering my brand new nvidia card off of newegg.....screw u ati, and goodbye

Comment

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
      I have finally given up, if the open source drivers had power management that didn't keep my card idling at 56C they might be an option
      What? 56C? Ha ha! Mine idles at 86C, and you're pissed?

Comment

I know, the 56C isn't awful, but the fan is so irritating when its that hot it kills me.....thats also if I change it to the mid power profile, otherwise its in the 60's....I wish the dynamic power management actually worked

Comment

Segfault(?)

I let the installer build packages for Ubuntu Maverick. Then I installed all deb packages on the system, let the kernel module build. And after a reboot, it boots in text mode, with the Xorg.0.log file reporting a segfault in the fglrx driver. (I do run a custom 2.6.38.8 kernel)

Did anyone else encounter this problem?

edit: on an x86-64 installation

Comment

alright, I just installed 11.6......honestly I have never been more livid with a release, last release there was a bug that causes everything to freeze up for a second or two and revs up the cpu all the way every single time u make the incredible mistake of moving ur f###ing mouse near the lower right corner of ur screen.....now such a glaring and frustrating bug in one release is annoying, but no ones perfect. However to have the same glaring bug which basically ruins my computing experience in the next release is intolerable. It just goes to show how much time and effort they really put into these releases. I have finally had it, after tolerating the pain in the ass of ati for over a year with my 5770, I have finally given up, if the open source drivers had power management that didn't keep my card idling at 56C they might be an option, but as that is not the case I am in the process of ordering my brand new nvidia card off of newegg.....screw u ati, and goodbye
            The nice mouse lag bug is still present? Thanks, now I don't have to upgrade my driver. I'm using the ATI driver from the ubuntu repo. It doesn't have that mouse lag bug, but it is older then the 11.5 driver.

Comment

I'm using 11.5 on opensuse 11.4 and i don't have this bug. Strange.

Comment

last release there was a bug that causes everything to freeze up for a second or two and revs up the cpu all the way every single time u make the incredible mistake of moving ur f###ing mouse near the lower right corner of ur screen
                Where do you get that?
                openSUSE 11.4 KDE here, single display, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cobratbq View Post
                  I let the installer build packages for Ubuntu Maverick. Then I installed all deb packages on the system, let the kernel module build. And after a reboot, it boots in text mode, with the Xorg.0.log file reporting a segfault in the fglrx driver. (I do run a custom 2.6.38.8 kernel)

Did anyone else encounter this problem?

edit: on an x86-64 installation
                  Kano here on this forum has a installation script that you should try out.
                  Speaking of which, another German seems to have something similar for openSUSE, linking here to the version for Catalyst 11.4 since XvBA is mentioned. No I don't speak German so I couldn't make any sense out of what they talked about :P
                  http://www.sebastian-siebert.de/2011...-installieren/

Comment

Catalyst 11.6 broke HDMI output, can anyone else confirm this? Note:
                    I get output if i plug in the cable in tty , but not with X.

Comment

Working...
                    X