A Fresh Look At The AMD Radeon Gallium3D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    *snicker* and yet it is so easily defeated.

The funniest bit is that even if it was somehow magically perfected, people would get around it just fine by using a large HDTV and record using an expensive camcorder.

Sure, it wouldn't match the original quality, but it would probably be "good enough" for the vast majority of what's pirated. Just get on any torrent site and take a look at how many TS (hidden shaky camcorder in a movie theater) videos there are.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 10 June 2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Finally I can see some useful 3D benchmark numbers with performance features enabled. Thank you, Michael.

I think a really relevant benchmark would be Minecraft (www.minecraft.net), since it is quite a popular game right now (will leave public beta on 11-11-2011) and has a native linux client. It works even on my centrino/rv350 system with ubuntu natty r300g, but only in a small window and with reduced distance and fog settings.
      I'd be very interested to see how it runs on AMDs 4250, 6570, 5770, and 5850 with r600g + performance features.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        The funniest bit is that even if it was somehow magically perfected, people would get around it just fine by using a large HDTV and record using an expensive camcorder.
        If the MPAA had its way, that camcorder would be required by law to stop recording and delete the file when it saw a watermark. I'm not kidding; this sort of system was seriously proposed.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Yeah, life is funny sometimes.
          Bridgman, what is expected speed boost when HiZ gets implemented?

Comment

Apples to Apples

Isn't disabling swapbufferswait and enabling color-tiling a cheat?

IMO only defaults matter and I want to know if the Catalyst driver has these options by default.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Isn't disabling swapbufferswait and enabling color-tiling a cheat?

IMO only defaults matter and I want to know if the Catalyst driver has these options by default.
              What sort of a question is that?

Of course Catalyst does colour tiling, in fact, it does much more complex colour tiling and it does texture tiling too.

And in any benchmark where the FPS is higher than the refresh rate (usually 60 fps), there is obviously no swap buffer waiting.

Previous benchmarks were unfair because important optimizations were not used by the open drivers.
              Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 11 June 2011, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
                and has a native linux client.
                Yes and No its Java

Comment

These are very nice results, BTW.

AFAIK, we are still missing 2d tiling, texture tiling and Hyper-Z. With these goodies, we should be more competitive.

Comment

Blender 2.5+ benchmarks please

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
                    how about benching the blender view-port performance in different modes?
                    this is something you actually use compared to benches like lightsmark
                    By viewport do you mean Blender Game Engine or just.. viewport?

Well, anyway I would be very interested in seeing some Gallium vs. blobs benchmarks that measure BGE 2.5+. In fact I might be willing to write some test profiles myself eventually (if I find the time).

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      And in any benchmark where the FPS is higher than the refresh rate (usually 60 fps), there is obviously no swap buffer waiting.
                      I doubt it. That would mean tearing with catalyst by default, which is unlikely. I admit, however, I have no ATI hardware to see for myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X