No announcement yet.

A Fresh Look At The AMD Radeon Gallium3D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we also ran this latest driver stack (Linux 3.0 + Mesa 7.11-devel) when disabling Swapbufferswait and enabling color-tiling

No, seriously. I agree that you should run more demanding benchmarks because when everything is 60+ or even 100+ fps nobody really cares how fast it really is.

It would be interesting to know if the issues that bring the fps down so extremely as in nexuiz go away if you run it without compositing. But in earlier benchmarks the performance was slower when not using compositing with open source radeon...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Submit a test profile and it will be included...
      Provide extensive documentation in an easy to access form and more users might do just that.

Comment

Most still don't run well on Mesa / G3D.... For those that do, submit a Phoronix Test Suite test profile for them if you want to see them used and then they get picked up right away for use in articles.
        Like Doom 3, ETQW, etc? Don't be silly, they very much run well...

Comment

Submit a test profile and it will be included...
          i just searched for documentation of profiles or at least some profiles to understand them
          but i just found "~./phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/definitions/test-profile.xml"

is there some kind of tutorial?

Comment

Nice colors for the charts... blue, green... blue... and green!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
              i just searched for documentation of profiles or at least some profiles to understand them
              but i just found "~./phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/definitions/test-profile.xml"

is there some kind of tutorial?
              Within PTS 1.x/2.x or PTS 3.0 (it's temporarily gone in Git) within documentations/ there should be a "writing your first test profile" HTML guide. But it literally is quite simple, the most effective guide is just looking at an existing test profile such as that for padman or doom3. From there you can simply copy and paste and then alter a bash script or XML file. I'm also always in IRC and more than happy to guide any motivated individuals... About 5 minutes of teaching and you can easily write your own test profile for almost any app.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

xorg.conf

Dear Phoronix, can you share your xorg.conf for Ati R600 drivers and other tweaks in config files if need it, pleas? I'd like to try it myselft on non-production PC with Xorg edgers PPA and linux 3 kernel debs from Ubuntu PPA.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by TomBoyTom View Post
                  Dear Phoronix, can you share your xorg.conf for Ati R600 drivers and other tweaks in config files if need it, pleas? I'd like to try it myselft on non-production PC with Xorg edgers PPA and linux 3 kernel debs from Ubuntu PPA.

Thank you
                  don't use Xorg edgers PPA or ubuntu PPA if possible, compile your own kernel to get rt functions online (it helps a bit) and compile mesa/drm/ddx from sources with -O3 (it helps a bit more in some scenarios). Beside compiling mesa from sources you can get st3c and float textures + other goodies missing in xorg edgers

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    don't use Xorg edgers PPA or ubuntu PPA if possible, compile your own kernel to get rt functions online (it helps a bit) and compile mesa/drm/ddx from sources with -O3 (it helps a bit more in some scenarios). Beside compiling mesa from sources you can get st3c and float textures + other goodies missing in xorg edgers

The options used are just "SwapbuffersWait" "false" and "ColorTiling" "true" in xorg.conf. And you can add S3TC support with any release/repositry of Mesa. (Float textures does need a recompile. Dunno if any of the Ubuntu repos enable it.)

As for adding optimisations or using anything other than the default kernel your distro provides, I think a [citation needed] should be used...

Comment

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37168 is fixed, so now I can use r600g full-time Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X