Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable PowerPlay for underclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
    I have this in my /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    Thank you ernstp!

Comment

Originally posted by piete View Post
      I'm really short of time (three babies), but I'll try to dig up my PCLOS2009 cd and see if the wireless works or not (I'm not even using the NC8430 at the moment, but nevertheless I'm glad that there is someone else with the same computer facing the same challenges ).
      Thanks piete. Don't worry about the wireless just for me. I live on wireless so if that doesn't work out-of-the-box, its a show stopper. I've briefly tried most distros via Live-CD. When the wireless worked fine its because of NetworkManager was present. As far as the three babies, perhaps you could assign your linux challenges to them - after all - three heads are better than one.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dforionstar View Post
        Thanks piete. Don't worry about the wireless just for me. I live on wireless so if that doesn't work out-of-the-box, its a show stopper. I've briefly tried most distros via Live-CD. When the wireless worked fine its because of NetworkManager was present. As far as the three babies, perhaps you could assign your linux challenges to them - after all - three heads are better than one.
        Thanks again!
        I found my PCLOS2009 but can't tell if the wireless works or not because the damn neighbours have started to crypt their wireless! I only have wired. Too bad Debian Lenny is a showstopper, have you tried SimplyMepis 8.0? Lenny should be still supported (at least for a while), I don't think Ubuntu 8.10 is anymore, so I prefer Debian repositories (I have the 5 DVD's on my HD for fast access).

The oldest baby (2 years) is already a whiz kid, he has managed to destroy some of my files on his own!

Comment

Originally posted by piete View Post
          I found my PCLOS2009 but can't tell if the wireless works or not because the damn neighbours have started to crypt their wireless! I only have wired. Too bad Debian Lenny is a showstopper, have you tried SimplyMepis 8.0? Lenny should be still supported (at least for a while), I don't think Ubuntu 8.10 is anymore, so I prefer Debian repositories (I have the 5 DVD's on my HD for fast access).

The oldest baby (2 years) is already a whiz kid, he has managed to destroy some of my files on his own!
          Damn neighbours, they don't have a working internet for me to test even in Windows! However, I invested 1 hour of my sleep, downloaded and installed AntiX 8.2 (for example here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/mepis/rele...antiX-M8.2.iso), and it has wicd which I remember being able to use as successfully as networkmanager so maybe you could give it a try. I only installed fglrx-driver and already got the power consumption lower than ever with Lenny at 19W! It still lags Windows by 6W, but I dream of free time when I am able to try some power management tweaks...

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
            I have this in my /etc/rc.local:
            Code:
            echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
            You find all avaiable power profiles here.

Comment

Working...
            X