Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D VDPAU On Radeon Starts Working

Phoronix: Gallium3D VDPAU On Radeon Starts Working

Not all German Linux users and developers were busy the past few days drinking beer and eating Ubuntu pickles and blood sausage, but Christian K?nig has made some more progress in his video playback work for the Radeon Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news! Hoping for fluid playback of high-bitrate H.264 on my machine some day...

Comment

Great. This is a much cleaner solution

Video will be consistently working across all capable Gallium devices. Buying capable HW for Linux, instead of the other way around is much better. You'll always know what to expect and are not tortured with having to buy Webcam X to get feature Y.
      The very purpose of an OS is to abstract hardware, not the other way around.

Comment

In Soviet Russia Hardware abstracts you?

Comment

This is awesome news. Mpeg2 is a great start, since some digital TV uses it for HD content. I'm really looking forward to h264 and VP8/webm in the future.

Comment

This solution also has the potential to accelerate many more decoders and features than 'real' VDPAU and UVD can do right?

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
              In Soviet Russia Hardware abstracts you?
              In Soviet Russia, special software omits the OS to run your shit on your HW directly, leaving certain OS components unused

Comment

Good news and good work!

Comment

@Christian K?nig
                  Good job, I must say.
                  How do you decode the bitstream from the mediaplayer? Using an external library or are you doing it in the state_tracker?

Comment

Good news, but...

Indeed it is good news, keep up the good work !

Still, I think it is just sad that this isn't being worked on for R300 cards, where i think it would be the most needed because CPUs from that era can't handle HD video.
                    I know that Gallium based stuff is supposed to be easily shared between drivers, so I hope it would simplify an eventual port to R300g.

Also, I understand that R300 is old and doesn't necessarily drags interest now, but until a few months ago I had an old pentium 4 rig that did everything I asked perfectly fine, let alone... high def video

Comment

Working...
                    X