Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gallium3D VDPAU On Radeon Starts Working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    H.264 MT is mainline in ffmpeg and will be merged very soon in libav (partly merged already).
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's only Git stuff right now, no releases. It's very fresh and distros will take time to pick it up. The out-of-the-box situation for HD video has been bad for years in distros. Let's see how long it takes for this stuff to reach end users.

    Comment


    • #32
      I added the video acceleration drivers to my Ubuntu PPA. For more info see here: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...127#post209127

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Before we had UVD (r1xx-r5xx), we used the 3D engine for video decode, so it's definitely viable.
        r600 hd2900 also do not have a uvd unit..
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's only Git stuff right now, no releases. It's very fresh and distros will take time to pick it up. The out-of-the-box situation for HD video has been bad for years in distros. Let's see how long it takes for this stuff to reach end users.
          ffmpeg MT is available and works, now. Not out of the box, but it's easy to get it going. Gallium's GPU acceleration only exists on paper (for H.264, MPEG-2 hardly matters).

          Comment


          • #35
            It doesn't look that good with r600g and evergreen (juniper) hardware. but at least it's showing a picture

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              I think the 3D engine is still used, at least I have read that the Radeon 6770 uses shaders for MVC decode and the Xenos GPU also uses shaders for HD playback (although I am not sure if Xenos has UVD).
              ATI drivers use shaders to do post-processing, but the actual decoding is fully done by the UVD hardware unit.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                ATI drivers use shaders to do post-processing, but the actual decoding is fully done by the UVD hardware unit.
                Not on r500 and earlier, which do not have a UVD unit. It's all done in shaders there.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Technically there's been some kind of hw video accel chip there from the Rage II+dvd onwards, I think. Perhaps it only does the MC part or something.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Technically there's been some kind of hw video accel chip there from the Rage II+dvd onwards, I think. Perhaps it only does the MC part or something.
                    That was only on the mach64 and maybe some early r128s. With radeon, it was all done on chip. From r300 onward it was done with shaders. On r1xx/r2xx there was a special mode you put the 3D engine into.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      That was only on the mach64 and maybe some early r128s. With radeon, it was all done on chip. From r300 onward it was done with shaders. On r1xx/r2xx there was a special mode you put the 3D engine into.
                      Thanks for the correction. BTW, is that special mode documented?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X