AMD Already Adds On Two Open-Source Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    There is a fair degree of overlap between embedded and desktop priorities -- I wouldn't worry. Anyways, there's very little difference between what Android needs and what a desktop user running Wayland needs - it's just the plumbing that is different.
    Perhaps. I don't know exactly what AMD's plan are, but IMHO embedded Linux doesn't have a good image with regard to being open source friendly. It seems to me that is mostly about taking the free Linux source code adding some proprietary code to it and then shipping the whole product as a binary firmware image and possibly adding en encrypted bootloader to prevent the user from installing custom roms.

I read a while ago AMD was looking for Android driver developers with experience with video decode acceleration. It would be nice if we regular GNU/Linux users could also see some benefit from that...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I don't know if any customers are using the Gallium3D paths today but I expect that some of them are and the rest will flip over pretty quickly.
      Thanks. Hopefully this will boost development on g3d and we can have a feature complete stack.

Since we got you answering questions are there any news on the UVD front???

Comment

There's still the one remaining slot still as well. For reference, Corbin Simpson, Tom Stellard, and Marek Ol??k who have contributed a lot to the open-source Radeon graphics stack are reportedly not interested in taking the spot on the basis of continuing their school education.
        Just so there is no confusion. I am graduating in a month and the position at AMD is one that I am interested in.

Comment

Two developers are more than one tm

Comment

Originally posted by tstellar View Post
            Just so there is no confusion. I am graduating in a month and the position at AMD is one that I am interested in.
            I hope you'll succeed in getting the position and start working soon!

Comment

Sounds like a plan!

Comment

This would be a dream job for me too. But right now I'm still 2 years away from graduating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                  This would be a dream job for me too. But right now I'm still 2 years away from graduating.
                  Yeah, I thumbnailed it as a possibility, but I'm at absolute best only able to work part-time for the next two years. I can't even do a summer internship type of thing as I'm already contracted as a TD on a small game project (hey, desktop Linux users will get to play this one! send your thanks to Google, Inc.). Being able to work on something like the GLSL/OpenCL compilers is basically a dream job, right next to being able to work on Fallout 4 or Dead Space 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    ... so don't worry... you get a job.
                    Definitely. That's the best part of being excellent in your field. For all the economy doom and gloom, good programmers are damn hard to find, and the ones out there get gobbled up by a good company sooner rather than later.

Hey, Bridgman, out of curiosity, are you guys interested in having any part-timers working out of Redmond, WA? I know another kick-ass DigiPen student with serious graphics experience and Linux know-how who may be looking for an internship during his Senior year starting this fall. He's mentioned to me before that his dream job is working on Linux graphics. I'm gonna shoot that job application page his way, but I imagine that position is solely looking for a full-time dev. I can also possibly shoot some other amazing graphics folks your guys' way.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X