X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK there are no real differences between DRM with DVI and with HDMI on any vendor's hardware. All of the internal protections are the same, and HDCP is enabled just the same when playing protected content.

This is all on non-Linux OSes, of course.
    1) non-Linux OSes have AnyDVD for years.
    2) majority of non-Linux users rip the content away or torrent the content whilst puting the "original" (<- notice brackets) away for years.
    3) torrent software is installed on 99,9% of non-Linux machines

While Linux users, not only must get ripped content somewhere to watch the movie on their machine, no - they additinally get opensource driver blocked.

Guys, if you really want your copy protection to work, encrypt it with /dev/urandom and put in the safe. So no one can access it.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Actually, I think that AMD is trying to mimic the Linux business model, by giving the open source community open source drivers and documentation.

That's how pretty much everything works in the Linux land, the only thing that varies is how much of the actual programming the hardware manufacturer does, and how much is left to the community. At least hiring more developers is a good thing.
    Oh shit, my HP B209a came with opensource drivers capable of full functionality, borderless printing and scanner support included. Plus tray application for info, service and task control.

But according to AMD, apparently you, I was supposed to program my own drivers and for windows "everything works"?

Har! Har! Har!

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
    DRM is the reason i dislike hdmi. If you stick to DVI, you don't need DRM.
    AFAIK there are no real differences between DRM with DVI and with HDMI on any vendor's hardware. All of the internal protections are the same, and HDCP is enabled just the same when playing protected content.

This is all on non-Linux OSes, of course.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    This is because you don't care about free software. You will probably enjoy Windows 7 too, microsoft did a good work.

Leave a comment:

• Artemis3
    replied
    In the past 4 years, i have purchased 5 cards, all nvidia; for this sole reason: Works with linux. I have also been waiting for the day people start saying the quality of ATI/AMD drivers are the same, but alas it has not occurred.

DRM is the reason i dislike hdmi. If you stick to DVI, you don't need DRM.

I don't really do any 3d with the desktop, but i do wine and the few 3d native games available. There is no amount of marketing that will convince me; people must start saying it works, it never freezes, and installing is a breeze. The only thing i pay attention is price, consumption, benchmarks, and the state of linux support. My experience with nvidia gear has been superb except when the device is physically damaged by factory faults.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    @crazyscheese,

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the entire KDE SC is full of SVG. The Login screen, all icons, Qt widgets, Kwin, the entire Plasma workspace is SVG and SVG wasn't braught to you by Google. Hell... Show me something other than SVG on my desktop except my wallpaper and the mouse cursor...

Are you sure you're not blind? Lol...

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    An optimistic way to look at it would be to assume that embedded customers like getting good performance from the hardware

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Well bridgman already said they hired the extra devs because of interest from their embedded customers. It remains to be seen how much regular GNU/Linux users are going to see any benefit from his. Remember that AMD initially had 3 people working on the opensource drivers, but except maybe two code drops from Richard Li I have only seen commits from Alex Deucher.

So yeah I remain skeptical.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Actually, I think that AMD is trying to mimic the Linux business model, by giving the open source community open source drivers and documentation.

That's how pretty much everything works in the Linux land, the only thing that varies is how much of the actual programming the hardware manufacturer does, and how much is left to the community. At least hiring more developers is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• DaddyBear
    replied
    Do you Like BEAR ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X