No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.5 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, the 'rigorous' testing is reserved for the Windows drivers.

AMD/ATI doesn't give a squat about their Linux drivers. FakeOSS drivers notwithstanding...

Comment

and include rigorously tested Linux drivers
      I'll correct myself...

Well, I guess the ATI card owners can respond to how accurate that is.

It's difficult to decide about getting an ATI card. Catalyst driver is improving but can't do A.... bugs doing B and features C are still lacking...

So, I sit on the fence.

Comment

Just tried this, and gnome-shell is still unusable on F15. Radeon KMS works better for now.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
          include rigorously tested Linux drivers
          I'm sure they are rigorously tested - against 2 or 3 ancient CAD applications that they have to support for their corporate clients. Anything beyond that which works is considered gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            Well suspend/resume seems to be working again with this version of catalyst, that's certainly a welcome surprise. ATI whatever you do, please do not regress this feature again, ever, thanks!
            Meanwhile, back at AMD headquarters in Canadaland...

"Sir, we have confirmation that power management is working on FGLRX."

Manager: "Dammit, I thought I told you to take care of this. BREAK IT AGAIN so we can tell people what wonderful Microsoft WHQL drivers we have. Muahahahahaaaaaa!!!! Also, throw in a bunch of code bloat into next month's driver bundle and don't put out any release notes!"

Comment

Originally posted by lakerssuperman View Post
              The one thing I can't get working is the HDMI audio out. The card outputs to DVI and uses a supplied converter to attach the HDMI. I don't know if this is a driver issue as I never tried to get it to work in the past. I am running Ubuntu 11.04.
              Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI also includes support for audio.
              So if you use a converter from DVI to HDMI, you would lose the audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Znurre View Post
                Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI also includes support for audio.
                So if you use a converter from DVI to HDMI, you would lose the audio.
                AFAIK, nothing physically prevents transmitting HDMI audio over a DVI connector or a DVI-HDMI adapter (i.e. there are no "audio pins" on HDMI). It's just that there is no actual standard for DVI audio, so DVI devices are generally designed to transmit/receive audio over some other connection.

Comment

Actually, Windows and Linux drivers are mostly the same crap after they've merged them. Slight differences are comming from the fact that on Windows you're using mostly DirectX and on Linux you're using OpenGL. That'd said - most of bugs are in APIs (NULL dereferences and soon), not in kernel module itself. Obviously, OpenGL got less testing than DirectX, but IMO, both APIs got very low testing.

I'm curios why AMD (and NVidia) could not release DirectX API on Linux? That will help wine users a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Nord View Post
                    Actually, Windows and Linux drivers are mostly the same crap after they've merged them. Slight differences are comming from the fact that on Windows you're using mostly DirectX and on Linux you're using OpenGL. That'd said - most of bugs are in APIs (NULL dereferences and soon), not in kernel module itself. Obviously, OpenGL got less testing than DirectX, but IMO, both APIs got very low testing.

I'm curios why AMD (and NVidia) could not release DirectX API on Linux? That will help wine users a lot.
                    What's the business plan for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Night Nord View Post
                      Because they would get Microsoft up their trying to get back their lost toy sales.

Comment

Working...
                      X