Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X1600 flash performance

hi forum,

i have a pentium d with a ati x1600 (pcie) card and i tried to play some flash games under ubuntu on it.
    so i had discovered that the performance is horrible slow on this platform. but i have no idea
    on what flash perfomance depends.

somewhere they told about the only cpu dependency, but in the news i read something about
    gpu acceleration and corresponding configurations in the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg that should help.

but none of them makes the game more playable. i'am at the end. on what depends flash performance?
    these little smartphones can play flash, but not an pentium d (2.80ghz 2 cores)?

thx, carci

Originally posted by caricnoma View Post
    these little smartphones can play flash, but not an pentium d (2.80ghz 2 cores)?

thx, carci
    Determine which part of software uses most CPU cycles when you play heavy flash(regardless where) by launching either top, htop(f6-cpu, Q) or taskmanager(ctrl-alt-del).

Also output of "glxinfo" would be appreciated, which you can upload to dpaste.org and paste the link here.

Comment

hi forum,

i have a pentium d with a ati x1600 (pcie) card and i tried to play some flash games under ubuntu on it.
      so i had discovered that the performance is horrible slow on this platform. but i have no idea
      on what flash perfomance depends.

somewhere they told about the only cpu dependency, but in the news i read something about
      gpu acceleration and corresponding configurations in the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg that should help.

but none of them makes the game more playable. i'am at the end. on what depends flash performance?

thx, carci
      This no hardware acceleration for flash with an ati card on linux, so it all depends on the cpu.

Comment

That hardware is getting pretty dated by now.

My previous system specs were 3Ghz Pentium D and x1900. Flash would take up quite a bit of system resources. The lag was most noticable on HD youtube videos. The x1k cards don't have any hardware acceleration (or minimal at best) for the types of multimedia we have today like Flash or h.264. So it mostly depends on the CPU. I upgraded last year to a Core i5 system (kept the same graphics card) and it is able to handle any flash content so far.

Keep in mind the Pentium D is just two Pentium 4 cores sandwiched together. I don't think flash has much multithreaded optimization so it ends up basically being flash content running on nothing more on a Pentium 4 chip. Also smart phones are getting quite powerful these days and they are optimized for specific tasks The Pentium D line is 5 years old now. Ancient in tech years.

Comment

If flash on smartphones is fully hardware-accelerated (and the odds are it is), it can easily outperform a software-emulated flash implementation that is running on a low-end CPU on PC. Hardware acceleration can really do wonders.

Comment

Try disabling "hardware acceleration" in your flash settings. (Right click on any flash media and click "settings.")

I have an AMD Phenom X6 3GHz and an AMD HD 5570. When "hardware acceleration" is enabled, fullscreen is unwatchable. Once it's disabled, it's quite smooth :-)

Like other posters said, YMMV with regards to your CPU.

Comment

Working...
            X