No announcement yet.

AMD Puts Out Catalyst 11.4 With X Server 1.10 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried today with Ubuntu 11.04, result: slow as hell.

Comment

Maybe you did not install it correctly. I tested my fglrx with u 11.04 and it worked (if fglrx was installed already use -z option and reboot then).

Comment

It was perfectly installed (but the catalyst installer gui didn't work, terminal way). FPS were a little low (about 400 with fgl_glxears, while 10.10 gives me about 900-1000) and while moving windows, I didn't feel smooth as in 10.10 (nothing relative to fragmentation).

Comment

If you didnt use the option to create debs then you killed your install.

Comment

Maybe, but I used to create debs in 10.10 and the information section on amdcccle doesn't show that I updated the catalyst. Also, I updated to Catalyst 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3 following that method and there was always a bug that freezes my system. When I chose direct install, the information section updated succesfully and the bug gone.

Comment

That has nothing to do with it. When fglrx is active and you replace it then /etc/ati is still written on shutdown. When you reboot then you can see the old version. In order to see the new version you have to stop X, remove the file that stores the config and start X again. Also thats just an opticial thing with amdcccle, fglrxinfo reports the correct opengl version.

Comment

I'll make a 10gb partition and test it again with debs, hope there is better performance.

Comment

Well you can try my script first. Use -z option, i uninstall fglrx with it first.

fglrx usually works then, but driver switching is still broken.

Comment

About wine bugs, pre-release driver had fixed at least:
                    1) One Portal & Portal 2 issue. Now Portal 2 is playable and almost bug-free on fglrx. (But it also runs quite nice on r600g, though a bit slower)
                    2) One Bulletstorm issue: game doesn't crash just after intro vids. But it's still miscoroled or grayed out and very laggy - unplayable.

Comment

@alazar
                      If You use standard instalation method (so without debs generation) remember that You have to install manually some stuff eg: dkms and qt4-gui (and some others qt4 packages). Safer method is generate debs and install it with all depedencies.

Comment

Working...
                      X