Can't Disable Vsync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Disable Vsync

I can't seem to be able to turn off vsync on my machine. SwapBuffersWait is set to off in my xorg.conf and my xorg log says it's disabled. I even set vsync off in driconf. Still, glxgears reports vsync is on. Is there something else I need to switch? Ubuntu Maverick, xorg-edgers (r300g), 2.6.38.3.

glxgears' text output is buggy for me too, been a while. If you get above 60fps, just ignore the console output. I get some 1300 fps.

Comment

Frames are locked at 60 with glxgears. The chip is just too slow to hit more than 60fps on many games, so I can't really tell that way.

Comment

look at that, the script disables the option directly without xorg.conf when you add any option. you dont need to use it but you should get the idea.

Comment

Best remove all configfiles you created.

Comment

You need to manually create a dri2 setting in drirc. Something like:

<driconf>
            <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
            <application name="Default">
            <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
            </application>
            </device>
            </driconf>

See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34401

Comment

Thanks. Setting the driver in .drirc to "dri2" instead of "r300" did the trick.

Comment

Well .drirc does nothing on my squeeze system with updated libdrm (and rest of the oss stack). Looks that it is somehow incompatible. Maybe i heed to check a system with newer libdrm by default. Basically even natty has a too old libdrm to compile every mesa driver - maybe not for ati, but if you want to compile every driver it wants 2.4.24+. Debian sid would be new enough however... I also checked some basic packages contents on natty, it still has got a ia32-libs package in universe, but i don't get why the libdrm libs are at a differnet position compared to debian sid. The problem is that you need those to compile 32 bit mesa libs on a 64 bit system. natty however would in theory allow to forget about ia32-libs(-dev) and use multiarch single lib packages. Did anybody try that? I do not really like just to replace libdrm code with self compiled libs because it usally affects other packages like plymouth too. Thats better handled with correct packageing. Btw. ia32-libs-dev on sid is outdated and does not contain the files from libdrm-dev (just like on natty, thats why i needed a hack to extract em...)

Comment

Code:
                  $ vblank_mode=0 glxgears
                  should do the trick. You have to set the environment variable vblank_mode to 0.

Comment

Working...
                  X