The Major Open-Source ATI Improvements Over Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    there are still features in the blobs that are not available in the OS drivers (video decoders, openCL etc) so there is going to be some time before we can get rid of blobs completely.

however there are people working on these features and we ll get them at some point
    Not to mention the power management which is still not as good as the one from catalyst (powerplay) (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post145519)
    Unfortunately, there hasn't been any commit in radeon_pm.c (radeon power management) for almost two years ... (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...rc/radeon_pm.c)

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      I find it amazing that r300g is consistently above 3/4 of the Catalyst performance now, often even faster. That's all anyone can ask for, and a huge success for the open source community.
      So true. However, there are some flaws like the lack of out of the box s3tc texture compression in Open Source drivers. I'd also like to see performance comparison in more demanding games like UT2k4, Quake 4. If OS drivers will keep performing well, then blobs can go home.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        However, there are some flaws like the lack of out of the box s3tc texture compression in Open Source drivers.
        It's not really hard to install/compile this library. Sometimes, distros even ship it already packaged (eg. Fedora).

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
          It also would be nice to see whether or not some commercial games like UT2004, QuakeWars or Heroes of Newerth are working and if yes, with what quality of image.

We have never any feedback on the few commercial title that exists on Linux. I'm waiting for those title to work with opensource drivers to swap from catalyst to open-source.

Could it be possible to have such review?
          Quakewars doesn't work with git r600 (HD4650), even though s3tc support has been installed.

Heroes of newerth works really well, with no artifacts and medium graphic settings. The game is as playable as it is with catalyst (just with a bit lower graphic settings)

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
            Quakewars doesn't work with git r600 (HD4650), even though s3tc support has been installed.
            Today, there is only one blocking bug to play etqw with r600g. And of course a lot of performance improvement needed.

Comment

Thanks to pingufunkybeat and tball for those answers.
              However, I really like Michael to write (and keep updated) something giving the comparison between open-source and catalyst, so the end-user that I am can see what areas are supported and what others needs to be improved on open-source side.

I'll visit the link given by pingufunkybeat though, this should partially answer the point.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaius View Post
                Not to mention the power management which is still not as good as the one from catalyst (powerplay) (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post145519)
                Unfortunately, there hasn't been any commit in radeon_pm.c (radeon power management) for almost two years ... (http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...rc/radeon_pm.c)
                The power management has been moved to the kernel since the move over to KMS. The Xorg driver has nothing to do with it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                  It also would be nice to see whether or not some commercial games like UT2004, QuakeWars or Heroes of Newerth are working and if yes, with what quality of image.

We have never any feedback on the few commercial title that exists on Linux. I'm waiting for those title to work with opensource drivers to swap from catalyst to open-source.

Could it be possible to have such review?
                  Those games are working very well, but sometimes you need the S3TC library. (libtxc_dxtn)

Comment

just use 2 systems at same time, one with open drivers, for everyday work, blob for gamings, just 30 seconds to reboot

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                      The power management has been moved to the kernel since the move over to KMS. The Xorg driver has nothing to do with it right now.
                      Yes, sorry, I did not notice that...
                      So instead of 2 years, it's 2 months

Comment

Working...
                      X