The Major Open-Source ATI Improvements Over Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
    I'm hoping that the recent compiler optimizations that was finished for r300 by Tom Stellar can be ported to the other AMD drivers.
    Not yet finished, still more coming!

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
      Not yet finished, still more coming!
      Now you've left us hanging

Congratulations on getting the floating point code merged. I had almost given up on that happening, thank you for not being so pessimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Did you do

dmesg|grep nouveau|grep core

to see if your gpu is running at full speed? i dont think so, looks so slow. ask in irc://irc.freenode.net/#nouveau then when c (current) is not the max.
        My laptop's card is an eight years old radeon Mobility 9600 128Mb, not a Gforce 9600M. My bad, I shouldn't expect people to know about computing archeology : )

I imagine the results look more normal now. In any case, I made sure the card was running at its highest power state. With this card, OpenArena is more or less playable if you lower the resolution to 480x640. At 800x600 there are too many situations when the frame rate can't catch up and is halved. Despite all the fantastic progress made on the linux drivers, I still boot up Windows to play a 'serious' match. However, the current small differences between fglrx and the OSS drivers for R300s may not warrant such an indecent behavior, especially considering that more improvements are to arrive. I'll make a comparison with Catalyst running on the same system.

Comment

Working...
        X