Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory component for Radeon driver on zacate e350 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory component for Radeon driver on zacate e350 ?

Hi,

I bought a zacate e359 powered netbook, and I have installed opensuse 11.4 on it. I'm using fglrx at the moment, but these drivers does not play well with gnome-shell ; and 2D acceleration seems not present (the background fade in at startup of gdm is sluggish)

I would like to use the radeon drivers with 3D acceleration, but the components provided by opensuse are the latest stable one ; According to the e350 performance article, I need Mesa 7.11 (still in devel) and xf86-video-ati DDX. The opensuse kernel is 2.6.38, which should work with e350 (beside some bugs, but I would like to update the parts that does not work before the "buggy" ones).

My questions are :
    - which version of xf86-video-ati DDX must I use ? The latest stable one is 6.14.1
    - which commit of Mesa 7.11 should I use ? I would like to avoid non building Mesa code...
    - what flags must I pass to xf86-video-ati DDX and Mesa to enable 3d acceleration (with gallium3d) for my APU ?
    - Should I build some special kernel module, or the one provided by my distro that works for other ati cards should work ?

I only rebuilt my graphic stack once, to enable vmwgfx for opensuse 11.4. I'm no expert ...

Thanks in advance,
    Vincent

- xf86-video-ati 6.14.1
    - kernel 2.6.38
    - PALM and SUMO firmware for the gpu (available via the linux-firmware tree:

and my website:
    http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/)
    - mesa 7.10 or newer

Comment

Thank !

Where do I need to install the firmware files ?

Comment

Sorry for double post, but I have another question :

Can it run using 2.6.37 kernel ? The kernel in opensuse 11.4 is 2.6.37 only, I though it shipped with 2.6.38 but I was wrong... there is some backport however.

Comment

Originally posted by vljn View Post
          Thank !

Where do I need to install the firmware files ?
          put them in:
          /lib/firmware/radeon
          and if you are using an initrd, make sure they are included in the initrd. If you are not building modules (i.e., have radeon compiled into your kernel), you need to include the firmware in your kernel image. See this page for more info on how to do that:

Comment

Sorry for double post, but I have another question :

Can it run using 2.6.37 kernel ? The kernel in opensuse 11.4 is 2.6.37 only, I though it shipped with 2.6.38 but I was wrong... there is some backport however.
            Check the source and see if they backported support for the new chips.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              - xf86-video-ati 6.14.1
              - kernel 2.6.38
              - PALM and SUMO firmware for the gpu (available via the linux-firmware tree:

and my website:
              http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/)
              - mesa 7.10 or newer
              i thought 2.6.38.2 was the latest stable at least according to http://www.kernel.org/

doesn't that work better!

Comment

I got 3D working
                I upgraded the xf86 drivers and kernel to 2.6.38.

However, performance seems not optimal. I get 50 fps in glxgears, moreless the same as without dri enabled ...

Is there a doc that lists every flags to pass in xorg.conf ? For instance, I think that 2D acceleration (EXA ? XAA ? UXA ?) is not enabled by default.
                If I install the mesa 7.11 from git, may I see performance improvement showed by phoronix benchmark ? Or is it only a matter of xorg flag, using 7.10 mesa ?

Comment

I got 3D working
                  I upgraded the xf86 drivers and kernel to 2.6.38.

However, performance seems not optimal. I get 50 fps in glxgears, moreless the same as without dri enabled ...

Is there a doc that lists every flags to pass in xorg.conf ? For instance, I think that 2D acceleration (EXA ? XAA ? UXA ?) is not enabled by default.
                  If I install the mesa 7.11 from git, may I see performance improvement showed by phoronix benchmark ? Or is it only a matter of xorg flag, using 7.10 mesa ?
                  Make you are getting 3D rendering (glxinfo | grep render). Also, sync to vblank is enabled by default. To disable it, set the env var vblank_mode (e.g., vblank_mode=0 glxgears).

Comment

Is there a way to set this flag system wide ?

There is a small rendering bug using KDE, I get black blinking shapes when screen fades in or fades out.*Is there a component to update to solve this bug ?

Comment

Working...
                    X