HDMI Audio for Evergreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by admiral0 View Post
    Ah i got it. So you still get lots of "no"?

I don't understand what's happening in AMD, that's why i made suppositions (from what i read from your last post , i was wrong).

What i thought was that you got ok to publish code for HDMI audio, but you are sorting out what to publish.
    Not so much "no" as "here are a list of specific concerns". Sometimes we find solutions for all of them, sometimes we have to go back and change our plans.

We try to look ahead and shape the plans to steer around likely problems but because of the learning curve that comes with each new domain that isn't a 100% solution either.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      All of the above... it's not actually a third party chip, just some third party IP mixed into our IP so we need to cut very carefully along the dotted line (after we figure out where the dotted line is).
      Please don't tell me it's related to DRM and Protected Audio Path. If I hear one more thing which that f#?%ing bunch of c#?&%?&%ers make hopeless, I might have to nuke MPAA from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        now we are getting to more complex (from an IP perspective) areas such as audio and UVD.
        So... how soon until there's a timeline for UVD?

Comment

There is a quite simple and fast way to get HDMI Audio working on Evergreen hardware:

Sit down and reverse engineer how it works, and then implement this into the DRM kernel module.
          If you get stuck, you can always ask on the maillinglist for help.

Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
            There is a quite simple and fast way to get HDMI Audio working on Evergreen hardware:

Sit down and reverse engineer how it works, and then implement this into the DRM kernel module.
            If you get stuck, you can always ask on the maillinglist for help.

Christian.
            No offense, but I can't see how reverse engineering a recent graphics card is "quite simple and fast". Any info on this?

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
              No offense, but I can't see how reverse engineering a recent graphics card is "quite simple and fast". Any info on this?
              "Simple and fast" compared to waiting for the documentation.

Comment

"Simple and fast" compared to waiting for the documentation.
                Ok, so... if its that simple, why haven't you finished it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Ok, so... if its that simple, why haven't you finished it yet?
                  Because I don't have evergreen hardware here.

For the initially reverse engineering of a single R6xx chipset I needed around two month. Another month for getting the other R6xx chipsets working (without having the hardware available and just with logs and register dumps).

Then we tried to get R7xx working for a couple of weeks without having direct access to the hardware (only with register dumps), but failed because of some internal wiring differences to the R6xx chipset. We only got R7xx working because I finally surrendered and bought new hardware, with this testing machine available it was just a matter of days to get it working.

Comment

Because I don't have evergreen hardware here.

For the initially reverse engineering of a single R6xx chipset I needed around two month. Another month for getting the other R6xx chipsets working (without having the hardware available and just with logs and register dumps).

Then we tried to get R7xx working for a couple of weeks without having direct access to the hardware (only with register dumps), but failed because of some internal wiring differences to the R6xx chipset. We only got R7xx working because I finally surrendered and bought new hardware, with this testing machine available it was just a matter of days to get it working.
                    Wait.... are you THE Christian K?nig then?
                    If so, I apologize.
                    Where can we mail a card?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      Wait.... are you THE Christian K?nig then?
                      If so, I apologize.
                      Where can we mail a card?
                      LOL, you could start with contacting me by mail ([email protected]).

Getting hardware to test would only be my last resort, somebody who could take over the evergreen HDMI support entirely, so I can concentrate on video decoding, would be really preferred.

Understanding how the hardware work isn't as hard as it sounds in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X