Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 11.3 Drops Support For Old X.Org

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 11.3 Drops Support For Old X.Org

With the month ending, Linux users were beginning to wonder where is this month's proprietary driver update, but AMD's web team has just uploaded the Catalyst 11.3 binary Linux driver. What's changed though in this month's update? Read on to find out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of my movies (Avatar, only one in real 16:9, 1080p) is a bit corrupted now with XvBA over VAAPI with my E-350, but all other movies work fine. The fixes in this release look interesting to me, because I think I might experienced at least one of those bugs.

Comment

Q was right again. He'd mentioned this a couple of months before about 11.3.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        One of my movies (Avatar, only one in real 16:9, 1080p) is a bit corrupted now with XvBA over VAAPI with my E-350, but all other movies work fine.
        Please be more specific. Did this work before, e.g. with 11.2 drivers? What kind of corruption is it? Do you have captures for what you got before, what you get now, what you would expect? Can you reproduce that with some clip that you could make available somewhere?

BTW, if you are using FFmpeg, git pull to update it as some fixes went there wrt. top|bottom fields that could have been mis-identified.

Comment

Do you still use ffmpeg not libav? I use libav for my vlc script.

Comment

One improvement with 11.3 over 11.2 is that the Tear Free Desktop(tm) now seems to be using less graphics memory. 11.2 would complain about not enough video memory (HD5770 with 1GB) on a Eyefinity setup with 3x24" rotated LCDs running 3600x1920. 11.3 does not complain about this and it seems to be enabled and working. Can anyone else confirm this ?

Thanks ATI !

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Do you still use ffmpeg not libav? I use libav for my vlc script.
              libav was a fork of ffmpeg. ffmpeg isn't deprecated by libav.
              The way I understand it is that some developers took ffmpeg over by using force, then after they lost control they forked and started libav. I don't know who is right, and who is wrong yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                Please be more specific. Did this work before, e.g. with 11.2 drivers? What kind of corruption is it? Do you have captures for what you got before, what you get now, what you would expect? Can you reproduce that with some clip that you could make available somewhere?

BTW, if you are using FFmpeg, git pull to update it as some fixes went there wrt. top|bottom fields that could have been mis-identified.
                I made a small video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfK73-TlTY0

What you see there is that I start watching Avatar and have a somewhat "blocky" corruption. I think you can see it in the video even with my crap quality HTC camera. Then at around 1:00 I restart the movie from the beginning and this time the blocky corruption isn't there but it flickers very fast (faster than my 30fps video indicates). At the end, I begin a different movie which works fine, like all other movies do.

This is with:

AMD Catalyst 11.3
                libva 0.31.1+sds4
                xvba-video 0.7.8
                XBMC-git, 5 days old
                AMD Fusion E-350 APU (Radeon HD 6310)

Rest is stock Ubuntu 10.10.

Comment

Edit limit, go die a painful death.

I should mention that I did not have this problem with Catalyst 11.2.

Comment

AMD & NVidia keep noting OpenSuse support in first place on their main release page while ignoring that by now and for the past few years Ubuntu is the Linux desktop king so they should mention _it_ in the first place, not flame bait nor trolling, just a remark of their corporate specific behavior.

Comment

Working...
                    X