No announcement yet.

AMD Looks To Ramp Up Its Linux Engineer Count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, lots of engineer jobs in Markham. I was under the impression that wasn't an R&D office. If I wasn't happy where I was that would certainly be tempting.

Comment

There are some days I wish I was a developer.

@V!NCENT
      Never thought these words from our beloved dancing queen could be put to such good use.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Lol, uhhuh, sure couldn't tell that from their profits or stock prices.
        sounds like he looked at those profits and stocks and you didn't.

For reference: http://quote.morningstar.com/Stock/s.aspx?t=NVDA

Nvidia's stock has been on steady decline for... well... a significant amount of time. Almost every laptop recall made in the past 3 years has featured an Nvidia GPU or Nvidia chipset. It was actually more noteworthy that Toshiba's laptop recall in late 2010 did not actually involve Nvidia chips rather than the fact there was a recall.

As is Nvidia is only now settling the exploding laptop dispute with the likes of Dell, HP, and Apple. Disputes with other vendors such as Gateway, Asus, Acer, Averatek, Clevo, and Foxconn, as well as purchasers of those laptops have not been settled.

Nvidia's financial status was so bad that the deal with Volkswagon was considered to be a company saving deal and was noted by financial analysts to be the only reason Nvidia wasn't filing for bankruptcy in 2010.

As far as Nvidia's profits go... profits can be misleading. Case in point here is the boycott Focus on the Family and other Conservative groups ran against Disney several years ago. On paper Disney showed no signs of the boycott, and CEO Michael Eisner disparaged the Pro-Family Organizations. Off paper Disney was scuttling cruise ships, selling off property for resorts, firing it's 2D animators, and relying on Pixar to carry the animated motion picture business. On paper Disney's profits remained relatively stable, but the company was gutting itself to maintain the illusion. The result? Eisner is gone and Disney went back to being a pro-family company.

Now, with that real-life example of how profits can be misleading given, Nvidia has been doing pretty much the same thing, cutting projects in the background in order to maintain the illusion that the company is healthy.

Problem for Nvidia, shareholders / stockholders aren't buying the illusion, and the steady decline in Nvidia's stock-price denotes the lack of confidence in Nvidia as a company.

Now, that being said, I don't think Nvidia is actually ever going to go bankrupt. I suspect that if Nvidia gets to a point where bankruptcy is the only choice they have, there will be a collective fire-sale on their technology. I suspect that Nvidia will dump their graphics-processing business long before they drop their ARM development. As of right now, ARM saved Nvidia's collective financial rump, literally less than a year ago. For Nvidia, becoming a powerhouse ARM processor designer is more likely to be more profitable for them than selling discrete GPU's into the X86 market.

Comment

My hopes are burned, so I'm looking only at what really happens.
          Right now AMD wants to hire 1k engineers for "cloud" computing mostly on linux os(put that in semicolons since cloud was already here for ages as server farm, marketing marketing marketing). Linux os sounds a bit positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
            sounds like he looked at those profits and stocks and you didn't.

For reference: http://quote.morningstar.com/Stock/s.aspx?t=NVDA

Nvidia's stock has been on steady decline for... well... a significant amount of time. Almost every laptop recall made in the past 3 years has featured an Nvidia GPU or Nvidia chipset. It was actually more noteworthy that Toshiba's laptop recall in late 2010 did not actually involve Nvidia chips rather than the fact there was a recall.
            If you look short term ya the last month it has been declining after their big announcements which is normal after a strong quarterly report. Over the year however their stock price has actually doubles.
            As is Nvidia is only now settling the exploding laptop dispute with the likes of Dell, HP, and Apple. Disputes with other vendors such as Gateway, Asus, Acer, Averatek, Clevo, and Foxconn, as well as purchasers of those laptops have not been settled.

Nvidia's financial status was so bad that the deal with Volkswagon was considered to be a company saving deal and was noted by financial analysts to be the only reason Nvidia wasn't filing for bankruptcy in 2010.
            The Volkswagon deal was hardly a life saver for them. Nvidia's cash assets and reserves are in fine shape. Most market analysts have nvidia stock at a average or buy status. That doesn't happen with fledgling companies.

As far as Nvidia's profits go... profits can be misleading. Case in point here is the boycott Focus on the Family and other Conservative groups ran against Disney several years ago. On paper Disney showed no signs of the boycott, and CEO Michael Eisner disparaged the Pro-Family Organizations. Off paper Disney was scuttling cruise ships, selling off property for resorts, firing it's 2D animators, and relying on Pixar to carry the animated motion picture business. On paper Disney's profits remained relatively stable, but the company was gutting itself to maintain the illusion. The result? Eisner is gone and Disney went back to being a pro-family company.

Now, with that real-life example of how profits can be misleading given, Nvidia has been doing pretty much the same thing, cutting projects in the background in order to maintain the illusion that the company is healthy.
            The only thing that nvidia has cut was their chipset business which will easily made up with their ARM development.

Problem for Nvidia, shareholders / stockholders aren't buying the illusion, and the steady decline in Nvidia's stock-price denotes the lack of confidence in Nvidia as a company.
            Again declining stock prices is nothing new, especially after a strong quarter report in the IT industry unless you are one of the bluechips like intel.

Now, that being said, I don't think Nvidia is actually ever going to go bankrupt. I suspect that if Nvidia gets to a point where bankruptcy is the only choice they have, there will be a collective fire-sale on their technology. I suspect that Nvidia will dump their graphics-processing business long before they drop their ARM development. As of right now, ARM saved Nvidia's collective financial rump, literally less than a year ago. For Nvidia, becoming a powerhouse ARM processor designer is more likely to be more profitable for them than selling discrete GPU's into the X86 market.
            It takes a lot to bankrupt a IT company. Creative Labs for example is actually a company that has been hemorrhaging for the better part of a decade now (so much so that they have to rent out their head office space) but they are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              My hopes are burned, so I'm looking only at what really happens.
              Right now AMD wants to hire 1k engineers for "cloud" computing mostly on linux os(put that in semicolons since cloud was already here for ages as server farm, marketing marketing marketing). Linux os sounds a bit positive.
              How does "cloud" computing equate to better linux graphics?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                How does "cloud" computing equate to better linux graphics?
                If they touch OpenCL on Bulldozer and opensource driver, yes. *if*.
                It seems AMD is really tired of tesla, maybe they want to polish the framework from some german university that utilized fglrx under linux to use as gpgpu.
                BUT it does not really interest me very much, since its only announcement and there are no info if it touches opensource at all, if it will, it would be sweet. Or if fglrx is polished further than nvidia blob, would be bitter, but usable.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  If they touch OpenCL on Bulldozer and opensource driver, yes. *if*.
                  Well they don't need to do anything further for openCL support for Bulldozer. CPU openCL support has been available for a long time now.

Comment

I wish AMD has an office at Istanbul to hire me

Comment

How/Where do you apply?

I don't see any new postings on their Careers website.

Comment

Working...
                      X