No announcement yet.

Can you control fan speeds with radeon/r600g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dynpm still has to much bugs for daily use like the display flickering when it switches frequencies. Also, last time I tried it with newest software, it was switching to late. Let me explain: I played a game. While I was playing I noticed a screen flicker. It was relatively clear that this was dynpm. But the game was still running fine, so I thought it was ok to switch down here. But about 30 secounds later the framerate dropped down and it took about another 30 secounds for the "dynpm is switching clocks to high" flicker. With this flicker the FPS droped back to a usable rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
      I tested with 2.6.38 now, on Idle desktop With, Northern Island, 6850 card.
      I guess that's the problem, I have an RV670.

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      But the game was still running fine, so I thought it was ok to switch down here. But about 30 secounds later the framerate dropped down and it took about another 30 secounds for the "dynpm is switching clocks to high" flicker.
      Which card? With an HD3870 it works flawlessly, it doesn't have such a behavior (but it HAD in the past).
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Which card? With an HD3870 it works flawlessly, it doesn't have such a behavior (but it HAD in the past).
        Radeon HD 4670 (RV730XT).
        I tested it maximal a weeg ago.

Comment

I guess that's the problem, I have an RV670.
          Yep, I had a 4770, and that worked fine. With a 6870 it doesn't seem that dynpm is finished yet - not a huge deal for me I just switch it to low and it's plenty fast enough.

Does anyone know how to set the computer to set the profile to low on boot? I think the right line in sysctl.conf will do it, just not sure exactly what that line is..

Comment

Originally posted by dumbo View Post
            Does anyone know how to set the computer to set the profile to low on boot?
            Add the following to your /etc/rc.local (or the equivalent on your distribution):
            Code:
            echo profile > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/device/power_method
            echo low > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/device/power_profile

Comment

When you say that dynpm works flawlessly, does that mean that you don't see any flickering when the frequency is changing?

Comment

Only sometimes, but just a bit of flickering, it isn't annoying.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Only sometimes, but just a bit of flickering, it isn't annoying.
                  Last time I used it the flickering was quite noticeable and it was extremely annoying :/ *mobility hd2600)

And using the open source drivers, even on low profile makes my laptop INSANELY hot. Still stuck with using fglrx, and even that the temps are far worse than catalyst in windows. :/

Comment

Working...
                  X