Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source AMD Cayman GPU KMS Support

Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Cayman GPU KMS Support

Nearly two months ago AMD released Radeon HD 6000 series open-source support -- complete with kernel mode-setting and Mesa/Gallium3D OpenGL driver acceleration support -- but this support had only covered the "Northern Islands" ASICs and not the newest Radeon HD 6900 "Cayman" graphics processors. Cayman's design is much different from the Northern Islands and previous-generation Evergreen GPUs, but the open-source support for these highest-end AMD graphics processors is beginning to emerge...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the info!

Some feedback (try 2, with thoughts better organized):

Has it occurred to you to start putting all of your benchmarking results over on openbenchmarking.org, even the ones you run in-house manually? Separation of concerns and all that.

But even with all your benchmark results shifted over there, it's exactly this kind of article that keeps me coming back to Phoronix. Summarizing info about happenings in the Linux performance / graphics / gaming / open source driver communities. Finding out about things I don't necessarily hear first-hand. This is why I don't want you to retire from being a Phoronix editor; or if you do, replace yourself with people who can capably fill your shoes as far as finding these excellent tidbits.

It's a news site, so give us more news. Thumbs-up for this post and others like it. The benchmarks can go "to that other site you run"

Comment

FWIW, initial EXA/Xv accel code is up on the cayman_accel branch of the ddx:

It doesn't work without hanging the GPU yet, but it's mostly all in place.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        FWIW, initial EXA/Xv accel code is up on the cayman_accel branch of the ddx:

It doesn't work without hanging the GPU yet, but it's mostly all in place.
        Alex, that is wonderful. I can't imagine someone would use 69xx with r600g, but it is a certainly solid base for the future AMD GPUS.

Comment

Sweet, really sweet, but you don't buy 300$ card to use with opensource drivers. Wasn't this official position?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            Sweet, really sweet, but you don't buy 300$ card to use with opensource drivers. Wasn't this official position?
            Whether someone does this or not, the open drivers should provide decent support for all the AMD hardware, which forms a good basis for the community to keep working on the drivers.

This is great news indeed.

Comment

If you run a LiveCD, it's better to have an optimized driver than only vesa. And, if we want later 3D acceleration, this is a mandatory step to do.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                If you run a LiveCD, it's better to have an optimized driver than only vesa. And, if we want later 3D acceleration, this is a mandatory step to do.
                GPL does not prevent usage of proprietary crap as basis(library, module etc), it does prevent inclusion of GPL code inside of proprietary crap. This means nothing except blob license itself prevents you to put fglrx or nvblob on livecd.

You can wait for you acceleration for 10 years, this is officially a legacy unsupported driver.

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Whether someone does this or not, the open drivers should provide decent support for all the AMD hardware, which forms a good basis for the community to keep working on the drivers.

This is great news indeed.
                Open drivers ... with decent support ... for all AMD hardware will take 15 years to accomplish, granted the development of AMD hardware will be frozen for that 15 years. AMD indeed deserves respect for documentation and some background support behind Gallium and FOSS drivers, but they do not consider this any serious.

This is like publishing "Learn to pilot the plane for dummies" book vs providing the plane itself.

Comment

This means nothing except blob license itself prevents you to put fglrx or nvblob on livecd.

You can wait for you acceleration for 10 years
                  On the other side, if I want fglrx in a Fedora LiveCD, I will wait an infinite time... but, by the way, I don't want fglrx in Fedora LiveCD.

This is like publishing "Learn to pilot the plane for dummies" book vs providing the plane itself.
                  From my own experience, the provided plane itself tends to crash more often. So I prefer an older reliable plane.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                    On the other side, if I want fglrx in a Fedora LiveCD, I will wait an infinite time... but, by the way, I don't want fglrx in Fedora LiveCD.

From my own experience, the provided plane itself tends to crash more often. So I prefer an older reliable plane.
                    Barely anyone wants fglrx. Barely AMD cares about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X