No announcement yet.

AMD 8.37.6 -- The no R600 or AIGLX Support Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the remote chance anyone from ATI cares, here's the xserver-xorg-core version information:

Code:
    apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-core
    xserver-xorg-core:
      Installed: 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-5
      Candidate: 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-5
      Version table:
     *** 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-5 0
            500 http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    If AMD wants to play with the big kid on the block, Intel, they'd better get this driver nonsense sorted out as soon as possible or all those lovely desktop rollouts aren't going to be running amd/ati, they'll be running Intel.

And if AMD needs some lessons on how to do a good modern hardware based business that also is open and communicates with its users, check out SUN, especially Jonathon Schwartz's blog. AMD is also messing up in this regard with its total failure to communicate in any meaningful way to its users, even if they do get some word to phoronix, as if we should feel so grateful that they even deign go speak to their users in that way.
    Last edited by gfxdrone; 31 May 2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I upgrade my FC6 to F7 last night..

no aiglx support, bugs in F7...So, It seemed this release means nothing to me~~

Comment

this is the second driver release i might call "8.35 does it better". if it weren't for xorg-server-1.3 i'd be back on 8.35, again.

now i'm really curious what excuses will ati come up with in the development cycle article, which will come out....someday.

it's hard to believe that any company would be actually able to release mediocre drivers for three years straight. they don't do this in the windows world, but linux is a different story.

there must be something very wrong groing on with the fglrx development.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhenech View Post
          Ohkay, XVideo is still broken for me (Thinkpad Z61m, X1400).
          Same here: can't watch a fuc**n movie!!
          I'm so pissed off
          Dell Inspiron 6400 X1400 also.
          How is it possible that newer drivers are worse than older???
          bleah, i'm disgusted..
          Last edited by slacker; 01 June 2007, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Just for the notes, things have improved for me a bit on a Tinkpad T60 (X1400, Gentoo stable with xorg-server 1.2.0) with 8.37 . While xv simply was gone with 8.36, it has reappeared for me with 8.37. It is still broken though, I get colored stripes, the xv window isn't properly hidden by other windows, and when maximized, I get an odd "hanging" effect in playback with the video stopping every second and jumping back a frame (looks like double buffering issue). On the other hand, vsync with opengl now works for me, which it never did before making opengl finally an emergency replacement for xv (which it wasn't before since I find tearing in playback very annoying).

Still, I switched back to 8.35 which is the best-working version for me so far.

Comment

I, too, have the video playback issues. And we were so keen on this release after its delay

Comment

sundown which video card do you have? X1400? On a laptop?
                Could it be a specific problem? Maybe ATI doesn't know about it, that's why they didn't fix it

Comment

i get exactly the same fps numbers with this version..

Comment

Mobility Radeon X1600.

Comment

This seems to work fine on my Thinkpad T60 (X1400). As far as I can tell, Video display is fine (though I don't have any HD content to test with but SD works fine) and amdcccle can switch screen config on the fly...

I stand corrected, tearing still happens, but it's only visible in fast scenes.

But at least it compiles cleanly for 2.6.21.3 (once paravirt is deactivated)
                      Last edited by bimbo; 01 June 2007, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X