Clear All

• Drago
    replied
    I ment HD6xxx without 69xx.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Yeah, Drago, I bare in mind I had to purchase outdated card to get opensource drivers working.

Close your eyes and imagine following: Windows cease to exist. AMD releases new hardware. Bingo - they cannot sell it! At least whole next year! And even if someone buys it - it won't change the situation even a bit!
    Well, you just want to argue here. Gallium is a new architecture. It needs to gain momentum. It needs time to pass. You saw how r300g got ~70% of Catalyst. r600g is much younger, but that didn't stop AMD to provide zero day support for Bobcat APU. The delay window for HD69xx was what.. ~2-3months! And I think these windows will got smaller, when:
    - there is already reference drivers (r300g,r600g)
    - the FOSS devs get familiar with Gallium3D
    - Gallium3D gets polished

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    This is indeed possible, and would suck for AMD.

Now think of the following scenario: Nvidia stops supporting Linux, like they did with some of their chips recently (Optimus). Nvidia doesn't care, all Linux users with nvidia hardware are screwed.

Which scenario is more likely?
    More likely is Linux cease to exist. Nvidia has been trolling over the internets recently with hiring another developer btw. But you are mixing subjects:

Windows cease to exist - AMD looses all customers in windows and all customers in linux.
    Windows cease to exist - Nvidia looses all customers in windows, but barely anyone in linux. Because their blob is way more advanced than AMD and in opensource area AMD does not seek in any possiblity to help normal people(non-coders) develop its drivers by voting with money(what market by definition is).

Remember we are focusing on desktop area here.

Seriously, you have 500$ budget on gfx card that you want to use in linux (not windows) for gaming, htpc, work - which chip brand would you prefer? AMD and waiting half year for support with bugs and reduction of features and selling card in next 5 years? Or you mean opensource driver that starts to work in 5 years yet again having reduction in features? How about nvidia and 10 years of card working?

And then, where will your 500$ go? Opensource amd - no. Catalyst on linux - no. Windows only driver - yes. Nice big cup of wtf.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Close your eyes and imagine following: Windows cease to exist. AMD releases new hardware. Bingo - they cannot sell it! At least whole next year! And even if someone buys it - it won't change the situation even a bit!
    This is indeed possible, and would suck for AMD.

Now think of the following scenario: Nvidia stops supporting Linux, like they did with some of their chips recently (Optimus). Nvidia doesn't care, all Linux users with nvidia hardware are screwed.

Which scenario is more likely?

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    I am waiting, and I am going to buy Llano, exactly because AMD openness. Otherwise I would have gone nv. Crazycheese, bare in mind that previous christmass we celebrated gears on r600c. The last year was a fantastic progress.
    Yeah, Drago, I bare in mind I had to purchase outdated card to get opensource drivers working.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    With customers like you, AMD does not need competitors. Do AMD a favor and switch to Nvidia.
    Im NOT amd customer if I buy and use their card. You follow?
    Do yourself a favor and read here.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, you lost me there. How did this go from "IBM/Oracle/Novell/RedHat" to being about me ?
    Not you as professional, but you as representative of your company. You are employed by AMD/ATi?

Is your question to me rhetorical or of real interest? My answer is that I fail to see AMD/ATi interest in Unices on desktop other than "just for fun" or "hobby".

Otherwise you would combine selling of consumer AMD/ATi cards to selling* of software in Unices.

And if the question was rhetorical - there won't be any commercial(means monetary profit from it) AMD success on linux desktop.

Selling* can be defined as selling copies(corporate proprietary commercial), selling services(corporate opensource commercial), selling (group or individual) human support(opensource commercial).

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    You do not want to lead the innovation, nor see opensource radeon as any vital part of your company portfolio. I understand.
    With customers like you, AMD does not need competitors. Do AMD a favor and switch to Nvidia.

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Great !
    I will try as soon it's in rawhide

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    OK, you lost me there. How did this go from "IBM/Oracle/Novell/RedHat" to being about me ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X