Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
      I must say i don't understand your point. You feel AMD is not providing good enough driver on linux (whether considering the closed one or the open one), it's your right. But i don't see why you feel the need to post such useless and out of topic comment in such thread. It's like you suffer from the XKCD Duty Calls Syndrome (which is sadly a common disease nowadays).

http://xkcd.com/386/

The fact are AMD is playing nice with the open source world, not only they provide a closed source driver which support lastest features and about which i heard mostly good feedback from it's intended target (people on workstation, not the game crew).

But they also support the open source driver by contributing code & documentation and paying developer to work on it. Yes this open source driver is lagging behind in feature set & speed, but all open source driver are pretty much in the same state.

Or maybe i am myself suffering from the XKCD Duty Calls Syndrome ...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        LOL i wrote this because i don't read your post: "bridgman can not aswer you because this product isn't released right now and he can not talk about future stuff."

yay... bridgman helps out

"while Cayman has an entirely new shader core so there's a lot more work required there."

clean the code means pull our the smal shader code and quating the big shader code.

no limitations because of smal shader units means easier to dev.

from the point of view of a dev the cayman is a surprise.
        Really previous shader core weren't making the compiler more complex, Cayman won't make things much easier. It's always tricky to bring new GPU up and running because you don't have reference (assuming you don't have access to simple example draw somethings) and a single bit off and nothing shows up

Comment

Am i the only one grinding my teeth everytime someone here calls it Liano? It Llano, people! L L. Two Ls. There is no I. Ok, maybe i'm being pedantic here, i'm not sure why i find that so annoying.

Also, it is not a bobcat based cpu. It's based on the old Phenom II core, which is much more powerful than bobcat (but not nearly as power-efficient). The GPU part of it probably is similar, though.

The new shader architecture should make it easier to optimize the shader compiler, but i doubt it's much different in terms of actually getting it to run at all.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Am i the only one grinding my teeth everytime someone here calls it Liano? It Llano, people! L L. Two Ls. There is no I. Ok, maybe i'm being pedantic here, i'm not sure why i find that so annoying.
            Test signature

Comment

It does suck that OpenGL>2.1 is a no-go. But then again the really popular games never use the latest tech, which means that you can still make good games if you don't have the latest CryEngine build.

Take a look at:
              -Counter-Strike 1.x
              -World of Warcraft
              -StarCraft 1
              -Quake 3 (even Quake 1 is still played by some)
              -Minecraft

And some more.

Comment

... Doom3
                ... Quake4
                ... UT2004
                ... Rage

Comment

Duty Calls

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                  I must say i don't understand your point. You feel AMD is not providing good enough driver on linux (whether considering the closed one or the open one), it's your right. But i don't see why you feel the need to post such useless and out of topic comment in such thread. It's like you suffer from the XKCD Duty Calls Syndrome (which is sadly a common disease nowadays).

http://xkcd.com/386/

The fact are AMD is playing nice with the open source world, not only they provide a closed source driver which support lastest features and about which i heard mostly good feedback from it's intended target (people on workstation, not the game crew).

But they also support the open source driver by contributing code & documentation and paying developer to work on it. Yes this open source driver is lagging behind in feature set & speed, but all open source driver are pretty much in the same state.

Or maybe i am myself suffering from the XKCD Duty Calls Syndrome ...
                  You shouldn't capitalize xkcd, it's not an acronym and lowercase is preferred anyway =p
                  http://xkcd.com/about/
                  /duty

Also, somebody s/Liano/Llano/g

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    ... Doom3
                    ... Quake4
                    ... UT2004
                    ... Rage
                    That's not what I meant. These games have all had their stuff maxed out on release date, but the latest graphics are not a key to succes perse. Counter-Strike got realy realy realy popular around version 1.6 and hell... That's based on the Quake 2 engine when Intel had long released the Hyper Threading Pentium 4's, but before World of Warcraft got popular (it was the most played multiplayer game at that time) and hell... World of Warcraft does look like shit. Minecraft is also getting realy popular with already millions in dollars of profit while the game is still in beta! Voxels to the max! No texture filtering! C'mon!

I mean it would be great to have OpenGL>2.1, but when you look at it, it is actually not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      It does suck that OpenGL>2.1 is a no-go. But then again the really popular games never use the latest tech, which means that you can still make good games if you don't have the latest CryEngine build.

Take a look at:
                      -Counter-Strike 1.x
                      -World of Warcraft
                      -StarCraft 1
                      -Quake 3 (even Quake 1 is still played by some)
                      -Minecraft

And some more.
                      GL3 or 4 are not a no go, we will have 99% (% top of my head where 1% is patented stuffed) of it advertised through appropriate extension. Question will be do we advertise GL version 3 or 4 without the patented stuff and throw glerror to program trying to use those, or do we go another way.

Comment

Working...
                      X