No announcement yet.

ATI R300g / R600g Unify Their Vertex Buffer Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In this case, a rising tide lifts both boats... and things like this will make it easier to get new hardware working quickly.

Release day drivers depend on vendors really - intel completely blew Sandy Bridge (although the platform has even worse problems!) and the 6900 series has a new VLIW design that will take a while to adapt to - i.e. a new/changed shader compiler.

Looking forward Linux in mobile devices (Android kinda counts) is going to become more important and getting PowerVR specs (reverse engineered or vendor) is the next big hurdle.

Comment

I'm very pleased with the current speed of develoment. Maybe half a year ago r600g on my Radeon HD4770 was just not usuable for anything except gears. r600c was also terribly slow and had a lot of issues. I remember playing ut2004 with a friend at a insanely low resolution with most detail options reduced to the lowest.

Today r600g has not trouble running the game with all options cranked up. If multisample AA support is going to land in r600g maybe I can see performance differences again.

Currently the biggest issues for me are missing texture compression support and the aforementioned multisample support.

Comment

I love the smell of DRY in the code.

Smells like... Victory.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidAcid View Post
          Currently the biggest issues for me are missing texture compression support and the aforementioned multisample support.
          Yeah I think there are a lot of people who would like to see r600g support s3tc.

Comment

performance.. speed... thats my problem.. my 4850 isnt working even in 5%

Comment

The Xonotic prerelease has (at least for me) exposed a bunch of driver bugs that cause lockups. I hope the devs are looking at plugging these holes, maybe once r600g supersedes r600c.

I am generally encouraged, though, especially by Fusion, which IMHO is now *by far* the best low-power platform because of the availability of drivers and specs for the GPU.

Comment

Working...
              X