X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys,

Just saw this on the fedoraforums:

Howto for F7 ( fglrx now works without xorg downgrade , if you banned xorg un-ban it ) 1. Install fglrx driver. Type these commands in a terminal. su - yum install yum-protectbase

Easy way to downgrade to xorg 1.2.

I have fglrx 8.37.6 installed along with it. It is working for me on a 64bit install.

(Just remember to add the excludes to yum and to comment them out when the next version of fglrx is up and out).

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Okay, here's the scoop on Fedora 7. WIth AMD fixing the X 1.3 problem, the drivers will build. However, when you install the RPMs for Fedora 7, aticonfig will crash and will remove your xorg.conf (though the original is renamed). If you manually update your xorg.conf and then restart X, fglrx will fail to load and you'll find a backtrace in your Xorg.0.log. So if you need the fglrx drivers to survive, don't upgrade to Fedora 7 just yet. Stay tuned to the forums for more information. This issue with 8.37 should not cause problems with Fedora Core 6 or previous versions.
      Sorz 2 quote again, but it took me like two days to find this thread :/ Thanks! xD Google query used:

Code:
      default fedora 7 xorg.conf

Comment

Guys,

Just saw this on the fedoraforums:

Howto for F7 ( fglrx now works without xorg downgrade , if you banned xorg un-ban it ) 1. Install fglrx driver. Type these commands in a terminal. su - yum install yum-protectbase

Easy way to downgrade to xorg 1.2.

I have fglrx 8.37.6 installed along with it. It is working for me on a 64bit install.

(Just remember to add the excludes to yum and to comment them out when the next version of fglrx is up and out).

Good Luck.
        Great suggestion. I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 with an X1400 card and I had the problem when I installed F7. I followed the suggestions in the mentioned thread and wonder of wonders, it works!!! (32 bit. xorg 1.2 and fglrx 8.37.6)

Greetinx
        Johan.

Comment

I notice that we now have 8.38.6 available and it was suggested that 8.38 would work with Xorg 7.3, has anyone tried this? Livna don't have it in their packages yet and I'm not experienced enough to feel comfortable experimenting so I am still waiting for others to tell me it works

Comment

As stated in the other threads, it STILL doesn't work. The Xorg Xserver 1.2 trick doesn't work any more, at least for me (some new depency problems).

Comment

k thx for the info

I haven't checked other threads actually, this one was the one linked to from the ATI wiki so thats how I got here. I'll stick with 8.37.6 then cos thats working fine with Xorg 7.2 for me.

Comment

X600

I have a RADEON X600 (in a dell 9150), and here's my ubuntu/fedora situation:

Got ubuntu 7.04 Feisty fresh from the oven, it tasted gooood - my previous linux experience had largely been with ubuntu, just because it was my pot-luck first distro.
                Ubuntu 6.06 didn't work with this setup, the X-server would just crash out, and no matter how much I trauled the internet, no distributions worked. So I stuck with winblows for a few more months
                7.04 was released, I rolled with it - it worked! I was ecstatic, and hurried to test the new "desktop effects" - which didn't work.
                Compiz failed on a composite extension issue, and after much tweaking - the fglrx driver doesn't support beryl or compiz properly in ubuntu. Damn.
                So, what now? Oh look, moonshine. I drank, and it helped soothe me, as the included display driver worked with beryl! I was amazed by beryl's cool effects, then installed GTA:SA to see if it worked better than ubuntu! Wouldn't install (unlike ubuntu) so I ran it from my (unmounted by default, for some reason) ubuntu partition - it did more than on ubuntu - a fade-to-white screen, then freezes. FPS was less than 3.
                SO. I install FGLRX - which doesn't work, aticonfig crashes out. So I hotfix fglrx and get it running.
                To my dismay, not only did this make a train-wreck out of beryl, but it also didn't make an ounce of difference to the libGL problem (I checked terminal output from gta:sa post-fglrx install) in gta:sa!
                It may have been a different error before fglrx, but the same fade-to-white screen, same framerate and freeze point suggest it's the same bug.
                GTA:SA isn't important.
                Beryl isn't important.
                But it'd be nice if -one- of them worked.
                So what'd I do? Tried uninstalling fglrx!
                Fail.
                So I tried replacing xorg.conf with the backup.
                Success! It runs with the mesa openGL drivers now.
                But problem, still no beryl and no gta:sa.
                So I pondered, and I read a lot of internet garbage.
                Finally, I struck upon an idea.
                Reinstall the fglrx driver from the .run file, and check fglrxinfo, see if it's actually using the right drivers.
                So, here goes, ./ati-driver-installer-8.38.7.x86.x86_64.run...
                GUI installs.
                Done.
                Ok then, aticonfig.
                Using blah blah...
                Found uninitialized people...
                Slapping them for being uninitialized...
                Ok, so that output is ordinary.
                Time for good ol' Ctrl+Alt+Backspace...
                Oh gawd!!! NO X-SERVER!!!
                Ok ok ok run the auto config script, do what you like just give me my desktop back!
                Oh damn, it rewrote xorg.conf...
                So now what?
                Ok aticonfig this xorg.conf
                Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
                Same issue...
                Can anyone, and I mean -anyone- tell me:
                a) why I wrote a stupidly long post on some forum I've never been on before about it
                b) how annoying it is that random anons do that to respectable forums
                c) how the heck I get my fglrx driver back
                and d) why doesn't beryl work any more, if it's rolled back to the driver that supported it in the first place?

Yeesh, sorry about the long post but... it was a harrowing 2 days trying to show linux off to friends/family, most of whom are strong winblows advocates because of "ease-of-use", but believe me, these teething troubles are nothing to what I had in winblows, and these are just superficial things like beryl! Not mission-critical apps like.. oh, I don't know, MYSQL, BY ANY CHANCE?!!! stupid my-crow-is-soft... why don't they just buy a wooden bird anyway? idiots!

Comment

8.38.6 still not work

Hi,
                  i was able to make FC7 Rpm's of the newly ati driver on my Fedora 7
                  Installation (Lenovo/IBM T43 with X300) but the X-Server still crashes with segfault.

In my linux career with nvidia i never had such problems with opengl gfx support as i have with ati cards.

Since the beginning, the ati driver never had the quality, as the nvidia driver under linux. The windows solution i wan't discuss here.

Poorly the laptop is a laptop owned by the firm for which i am working for, i personally will not by a computer with an ati gfx card inside.

Why? Look at the linux driver and you have the answer.

CU
                  Nine
                  not 9(Never trust a hippy)

Comment

How can I get some kind of X desktop working

My FC6 box had been a real workhorse, until I upgraded to F7 final and found I no longer have X working...

I have tried the solution from Fedora Forum here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...62&postcount=2, to no avail. I had been makinf do, since I was under the impression this latest ATI driver would fix this. At this point, I'd settle for ANY graphical display.

Can someone point me to any kinda howto to getting up any kinda X desktop with F7 and a Athlon XP 3200, 9800 XT radeon, 1GB RAM, etc... nothing fancy that has worked FINE for years!

/var/log/Xorg.setup.log has this error:
                    (++) Log file: "/dev/null", Time: Wed Jul 4 00:08:33 2007
                    (++) Using config file: "/tmp/tmpmrWjUdxorg.config"
                    /usr/bin/Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so: undefined symbol: drmSetServerInfo

What else do you need to know?

Thamnks in advance for any help....

Comment

Originally posted by Binford View Post
                      ...since I was under the impression this latest ATI driver would fix this....
                      Join the club, dude.

Comment

Working...
                      X