Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glxextxexlg
    replied
    BTW I've read 37 pages of thread and haven't found any actual AMD opensource lies yet, did I miss something juicy ?
    Here you are:

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    No it isn't. This doesn't mean that the FSF and the GNU project are not very important parts of the Linux ecosystem.
    Here's the problem :

calling the OS distribution "Linux" is wrong...
    GNU/Linux is bit closer but still wrong...
    GNU/Linux/X/DRI/Mesa is another bit closer but *still* wrong...
    GNU/Linux/X/DRI/Mesa/Gnome/KDE/<50 other things> is starting to get close, but is also impractically long to type or say...

... so people just use the term "Linux" knowing it actually means "a whole lot of different software running on the Linux kernel" because that works and nobody has come up with a better name yet.

BTW I've read 37 pages of thread and haven't found any actual AMD opensource lies yet, did I miss something juicy ?

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    The fact that most of the 'linux' operating system ( bash, glibc and so on ) is the work of the GNU project mean absolutely nothing to you?
    No it isn't.

This doesn't mean that the FSF and the GNU project are not very important parts of the Linux ecosystem.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    So most of the software DOES NOT come from the FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION ?
    No. Not by a long shot.

Leave a comment:

• amphigory
    replied
    Ah.

Leave a comment:

• amphigory
    replied
    Originally posted by xiando View Post
    I WANT SOME! Is it only available in Germany? :-)

Leave a comment:

• glxextxexlg
    replied
    and "FSF purist circles" try to fix the stupid dump masses its a mission impossible.
    The masses you belittle are PEOPLE! And if they have a problem with a shitty amd linux driver (and they have most of the time) its my problem too! You keep living in your crystal elitist tower belittling people while day by day get lonely, and die there shitting you elitist moron!

Leave a comment:

• yesterday
    replied
    Once upon a time in phoronix there was a nut case who claimed that Hans Reiser was innocent and that the powerful "storage lobby" was behind false allegations.

Even when Hans admitted to killing his wife, this nut case claimed Hans was coerced, and that the case was a clear indication of corruption.

Eventually this nut case started blaming the Jews, and got banned.

glxextxexlg, you have a long way to go to be even a tenth as interesting.

Leave a comment:

• glxextxexlg
    replied
    I repeat linux is not an operating system - it is a GPL kernel as is hurd
    Then replace linux with GNU hurd and see what happens

The community can easily replace GCC, glibc, libstdc++ with alternatives, but its a pain in the ass to replace the linux kernel, and you know why because developing a microkernel to work at this magnitude with every device available in the market to plug to your PC (modern desktop today) is nearly impossible to achieve. Its why microkernels are used in fixed hardware-software combinations like symbian phones (which still sucks BTW android FTW).

So we can, and WE WILL replace GNU tools! Nnnnhahahahahaha!

Leave a comment:

• xiando
    replied
    Oh wait yeh , the whole point of this thread is that its all lies!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X