AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
    If you're so against open source drivers, and so in favour of nvidia and closed source software....why are you using linux?
    Because the above mentioned setup fits my needs perfectly. Again, I am not against open source drivers simply that I am in favour of the best performing solution for my uses and that would be nvidia blob/linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Sounds like bad hardware or bad user. Take your pick.
      I am not as advanced as you, I simply install the magical nvidia driver using the magical package.

If I were as advanced and magical as you, everything would work, and there would be shiny pink elephant singing the Barney theme song in my room.

But alas, I guess that I am not advanced enough for the binary driver. That's why I stick to pulling experimental git drivers which, strangely, don't hose my system when switching VTs.

Yup sounds like a lot of sword rattling, never the less until proven otherwise it is legal, period.
      That's a very odd approach to law. If somebody doesn't sue you, then everything is legal

You know that is a lot of horseshit. Many bugs have been filed against the kernel and addressed with blobs in place. It is only bugs that involve related resources that they will not address.
      You are truly Mr. Disinformation:

What does it mean for a module to be tainted?
      (REG, contributed by John Levon) Some vendors distribute binary modules (i.e. modules without available source code under a free software license). As the source is not freely available, any bugs uncovered whilst such modules are loaded cannot be investigated by the kernel hackers. All problems discovered whilst such a module is loaded must be reported to the vendor of that module, not the Linux kernel hackers and the linux-kernel mailing list. The tainting scheme is used to identify bug reports from kernels with binary modules loaded: such kernels are marked as "tainted" by means of the MODULE_LICENSE tag. If a module is loaded that does not specify an approved license, the kernel is marked as tainted. The canonical list of approved license strings is in linux/include/linux/module.h.
      "oops" reports marked as tainted are of no use to the kernel developers and will be ignored. A warning is output when such a module is loaded. Note that you may come across module source that is under a compatible license, but does not have a suitable MODULE_LICENSE tag. If you see a warning from modprobe or insmod

LMAO, and FOSS drivers never break anything do they? (BTW those issues have been fixed).
      Of course they do. Unlike nvidia fanboys, our shit stinks just like any other shit.

But your argument is that blobs are perfect and OSS drivers are imperfect.

The fact is, both have their issues. From a performance and OpenGL-conformance point of view, the blobs are better, but have their own problems, own bugs and own annoyances.

And using a free driver also requires a lot of dependency on others to fix an issue for 99.9% of the people out there who are not driver developers. Same shit different pile.
      Yet the code is open, and the process is more transparent and it's easier to pinpoint bugs.

Years later? LMAO, that is hardly the case as almost all of that stuff was developed using nvidia blobs.
      Says the guy who admits to not having used KDE during this time, to the guy who was using it.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Because the above mentioned setup fits my needs perfectly. Again, I am not against open source drivers simply that I am in favour of the best performing solution for my uses and that would be nvidia blob/linux.
        Fair enough. For my own setup, the best solution is with AMD and the proprietary drivers (need OpenGL 3.x/4.x).
        The beauty of competition and choice.

Comment

• I understand deanjo's position.

He is a hardcore pragmatist, who wants the tools that get the job done.

He is also deeply skeptical of open source software and the open source community. If he had the option of jumping to a purely closed-source system at the same price, he would.

As it stands, some of his needs are best served by open software, and some by closed software, so he's running a hybrid Windows-Linux Frankenstein monster.

As soon as Windows offers him what he needs, he'll be gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
            Yes some of them don't understand that the king is naked. AMD's linux support be it opensource or blob SUCKS, while nvidia's linux support being a blob only solution WORKS for a long time to come.

They don't understand that while kernel hackers or people who love adventuring with slowly evolving open source drivers which are NOT BACKED by amd, and being developed by unpaid spare-time developers or accidentaly backed by companies like intel, hate blobs simply because they either don't have any interest in high performance graphics (kernel hackers) or they are a small bunch of religious fanatics who are obsessed with the everything opensource idea.

And they ignore the fact that every normal user (or every normal people on the face of this earth) will want good support for the hardware they pay money for. Ignore the masses, ignore people's desire to create or admire artworks (like unigine heaven), ignore the people who just like to play games or just want to view a webgl object without any problems and you end up in a monastery, preaching each other the good everything opensource prophecy while many people's hard work gets ruined by companies which don't provide good support to linux end users...

Good luck with your hardline evangelism.
            Go back to using windows then? Its nothing to do with zealous fanatics as I have already explained - its computer science vs computer tricks. Did you report any bugs for the radeon driver or mesa at least? AMD provide the specs and the community will write the driver!

The closed sourced model of development is bad science at best and at worst tyrannical.

Comment

• Bloody ubuntn00bs!

Comment

• He is a hardcore pragmatist, who wants the tools that get the job done.
                And many people on the face of this earth thinks the same. They are end-users, and we need them. Having opensource tools to get the job done and binary blobs to get the hardware to actually work well with those tools are two very different things, which you don't understand.

He is also deeply skeptical of open source software and the open source community. If he had the option of jumping to a purely closed-source system at the same price, he would.
                Ahaaa We found our heretics boys! Let's get'em! They hate everything with a GPL license attached to it, they are the sneaky enemies within, so sooner we get rid of them the better. Attaaack!

What a bigoted mind

Comment

• Originally posted by aFanaticGent00b
                  Bloody ubuntn00bs!
                  Xenophobia and discrimination at their best.

Comment

And many people on the face of this earth thinks the same. They are end-users, and we need them. Having opensource tools to get the job done and binary blobs to get the hardware to actually work well with those tools are two very different things, which you don't understand.
                    Binary blobs are not required to get hardware to actually work. The original r200 drivers were very fast - faster than any of the closed drivers (no matter what company). Linux itself is open source - and that's used by AMD in their simulators for future CPU products.
                    Closed blobs don't have to exist to use your hardware and use it well. If you didn't mean that, I apologise, it just seems like you were implying it...

Comment

I understand this.

But the Windows drivers are better than the linux blobs. so I don't understand why you don't use that instead.

Ahaaa We found our heretics boys! Let's get'em! They hate everything with a GPL license attached to it, they are the sneaky enemies within, so sooner we get rid of them the better. Attaaack!

What a bigoted mind
                      Typical MS FUD yet again.

Instead of leaving OSS developers alone, you go into some religious fundamentalist rant.

Simply stop shitting on Open Source and nobody will have a problem with you You can play Workraft all you want, I promise

Comment

Working...
                      X