• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Non mi risulta, citami la fonte.

Here you go BTW

Comment

• Another here

Comment

• Some people commenting on this thread simply do not understand!
        Yes some of them don't understand that the king is naked. AMD's linux support be it opensource or blob SUCKS, while nvidia's linux support being a blob only solution WORKS for a long time to come.

They don't understand that while kernel hackers or people who love adventuring with slowly evolving open source drivers which are NOT BACKED by amd, and being developed by unpaid spare-time developers or accidentaly backed by companies like intel, hate blobs simply because they either don't have any interest in high performance graphics (kernel hackers) or they are a small bunch of religious fanatics who are obsessed with the everything opensource idea.

And they ignore the fact that every normal user (or every normal people on the face of this earth) will want good support for the hardware they pay money for. Ignore the masses, ignore people's desire to create or admire artworks (like unigine heaven), ignore the people who just like to play games or just want to view a webgl object without any problems and you end up in a monastery, preaching each other the good everything opensource prophecy while many people's hard work gets ruined by companies which don't provide good support to linux end users...

Good luck with your hardline evangelism.

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
          They don't understand that while kernel hackers or people who love adventuring with slowly evolving open source drivers which are NOT BACKED by amd, and being developed by unpaid spare-time developers or accidentaly backed by companies like intel, hate blobs simply because they either don't have any interest in high performance graphics (kernel hackers) or they are a small bunch of religious fanatics who are obsessed with the everything opensource idea.
          So you're saying that the open source drivers would be better if they were closed source? What?
          The fact that the OSS drivers are OSS doesn't have any negative affect on the quality or performance. You can blame AMD for having a lame blob driver, but as you said most of the OSS developers aren't employed by AMD so they have no obligation at all to make your hardware work the way you want it to. I appreciate the effort they put into making the driver work well enough to not need fglrx for most things.
          By the way you are free to contribute to the OSS driver anytime if you're so sure that you know what needs to be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Well I've never had a VT lock on me either with the Nvidia blobs. And yes I really do mean never. I have on many occasions however had kernel panics trying to get RS690 systems to simply boot to the desktop with the free drivers.
            Being lucky is not a good basis for OS stability

Opinion isn't law. Two very different things.
            It's a grey area at best. Enough to make most people involved with Linux very wary of the blobs.

Never said they should deal with the bugs in a blob.
            Neither did I. Don't throw red herrings.

Kernel hackers refuse bug reports involving tainted kernels. KERNEL BUG REPORTS.

The blob developers are well qualified to handle them.
            And nobody else. Not kernel guys, not KDE guys, not GNOME guys, nobody. So OSS gets workarounds for this crap instead of fixing it at the source.

For you, not for the graphic drivers developers.
            No, for anyone except the 100 Nvidia employees. The graphic driver developers working for RedHat or VMware can't do anything about it either.

Used KDE and nvidia for years. It has always been a smooth experience. Desktop effects are pretty low priority for me and I always disable them since they serve no practical purpose at all.
            Wow, that's a great argument.

I don't need CUDA or OpenGL4. Therefore, they don't matter.

Actually AMD hired them to do so.
            Yes. Because they maintain one of the most popular Linux distros around, and have to live with packaging the blob crap and all the trouble that goes with it.

They didn't hire Microsoft or Oracle to do it.

If this was true then everyone but them would run IGP's in the first place.
            Actually, most people do.

Comment

• I do have to hand it to you, deanjo, that was your best line yet:

KDE worked perfectly with Nvidia, other than the parts that involved using the graphics driver.

Comment

Yes some of them don't understand that the king is naked. AMD's linux support be it opensource or blob SUCKS
                This is more FUD.

OSS drivers for everything before R600 is EXCELLENT and in most cases superior to the blob.

OSS drivers for R600 are good for OpenGL2 and most desktop use, but they are still missing some functionality and performance optimisations.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Used KDE and nvidia for years. It has always been a smooth experience. Desktop effects are pretty low priority for me and I always disable them since they serve no practical purpose at all.
                  I remember back in like KDE 4.1 or 4.2 Plasma ran like molasses on Nvidia blobs. I do remember it was fixed, but for a while Plasma was practically unusable. I'm pretty sure the issue was present without desktop effects enabled.

Like Plasma or not, the panels in KDE are Plasma. As well as everything on them are Plasma as well.

Comment

• OSS drivers for everything before R600 is EXCELLENT and in most cases superior to the blob.
                    EXCELLENT? No way near it. To say this you must have never used r300g.

After years of development involving all the hard work done by Marek Olsak and Corbin Simpson: You can't run blender, maya, houdini with it (user interface broken). You can't run unigine sanctuary, tropics with it (floating point patented extensions). You can't rely on it to develop OpenGL apps due to numerous bugs (tested it myself many times).

Comment

After years of development involving all the hard work done by Marek Olsak and Corbin Simpson: You can't run blender, maya, houdini with it (user interface broken).
                      Blender is certified Gold on R300 and R400. It can't be a major bug for r500.

Not sure about Maya and Houdini, I'm sure if you donate a license to the OSS devs, they will fix it. They are not cheap.

You can't run unigine sanctuary, tropics with it (floating point patented extensions).
                      These cannot work on R500 and older at all (hardware not OpenGL3 capable).

The floating point extensions exist, but you have to pull them from a separate repository. This is hardly the OSS developers' fault.

You can't rely on it to develop OpenGL apps due to numerous bugs (tested it myself many times).
                      You filed bugs, I hope? Otherwise, why should we believe you?

I still consider the drivers excellent if a couple of closed-source apps is the worst problem with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X