X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality thread. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

8/10

Comment

Haven't used the R300 card recently, to be honest.

I think you guys are smart and way above my know-how so I am only concerned about the development and speed in which the drivers get supported and the feature-set therein.

I am pretty sure no one really cares what I say, anyway, so yeah, I was going to not post much anymore unless I need help with a card or have a particular issue I hope to receive help with.

You are right, I should be using the card everyday and report issues to be accepted for legitimate complaints. But, it's not fair to call me a troll or similar, imho. I'm not like those other guys, c'mon?!?

Q,' good to hear. I posted previously that I would like to build a 2nd computer build and it makes sense to me that one is ATI, at least, and if the other is Nvidia, I can sorta compare. So, yeah, the ATI R300 card could go in one. I have an extra mobo now and a few spare computer parts.

I'll read for the updates and info.

Comment

Panix,

I shouldn't have jumped all over you, but you were helping to propagate the excessive FUD in this thread.

The truth of the matter is that AMD is providing way more support for the OSS drivers than the community originally asked for. Because of the documentation and code releases from AMD, the R300-R500 series cards now have an excellent OSS driver. This driver already has support for the majority of the features on these cards, and is performing almost as well as the discontinued fglrx driver.

The R600+ drivers still need a lot of work to support all of the features on the cards, but there are some major issues that need to be overcome. The first is the pure fact that some of the OpenGL3/4 stuff is patent encumbered, and there is nothing that AMD can do about that. The second is that there has been a lack of infrastructure in the OSS video stack, but this is rapidly changing with Gallium3D. The third problem is manpower. We would all like to see AMD hire a few more devs to help speed things up (they are/were looking for more), but you have to be realistic here: devs are expensive and Linux has a very small market share.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
          You mean the fully supported ATI Radeon 9000?
          OK I'll go get one.

Comment

but you have to be realistic here: devs are expensive and Linux has a very small market share.
            You see, its the question of egg and chicken: Egg from the chicken or chicken from the egg? If you have bad binary and bad opensource support you'll end up with smaller market share, because the result is the same: bad hardware support. And if you have small market share then its not worth to support the OS and it goes like this on and on to eternity

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
              You see, its the question of egg and chicken: Egg from the chicken or chicken from the egg? If you have bad binary and bad opensource support you'll end up with smaller market share, because the result is the same: bad hardware support. And if you have small market share then its not worth to support the OS and it goes like this on and on to eternity
              Patience.

If that's not your thing, then patches are welcome.

Comment

9 pages, I can't believe this bullshit is so popular...
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Patience.
                  When I go to the market to purchase hardware, the reseller doesn't have patience to take the money...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    9 pages, I can't believe this bullshit is so popular...
                    I was going to say the same!. Its been only two days, this stupid flame initiated by a troll and even I am feeding to it! Amazing!
                    If it was one of those "lets start a flame war" pranks, then it was quite successful.

Comment

Who lies exposed..

I seriously expected some nude pictures of AMD's open source...

Comment

Working...
                      X