AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do have to hand it to you, deanjo, that was your best line yet:

KDE worked perfectly with Nvidia, other than the parts that involved using the graphics driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
      Yes some of them don't understand that the king is naked. AMD's linux support be it opensource or blob SUCKS
      This is more FUD.

OSS drivers for everything before R600 is EXCELLENT and in most cases superior to the blob.

OSS drivers for R600 are good for OpenGL2 and most desktop use, but they are still missing some functionality and performance optimisations.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Used KDE and nvidia for years. It has always been a smooth experience. Desktop effects are pretty low priority for me and I always disable them since they serve no practical purpose at all.
        I remember back in like KDE 4.1 or 4.2 Plasma ran like molasses on Nvidia blobs. I do remember it was fixed, but for a while Plasma was practically unusable. I'm pretty sure the issue was present without desktop effects enabled.

Like Plasma or not, the panels in KDE are Plasma. As well as everything on them are Plasma as well.

Comment

• OSS drivers for everything before R600 is EXCELLENT and in most cases superior to the blob.
          EXCELLENT? No way near it. To say this you must have never used r300g.

After years of development involving all the hard work done by Marek Olsak and Corbin Simpson: You can't run blender, maya, houdini with it (user interface broken). You can't run unigine sanctuary, tropics with it (floating point patented extensions). You can't rely on it to develop OpenGL apps due to numerous bugs (tested it myself many times).

Comment

hardline evangelism.
            your naivity of thinking you are the only one how can do an definition what normal is is really a hardline evangelism.

your logic is so simple put all stuff you like and nvidia is good in in a box and call this "normal" and call all other stuff the others are good in freaks and Creasy and call them "hardline evangelism.".

out of the box usage of a distri without installing a cloused source driver=? you are an hardline evangelist if you want this.

higher security by valid the source code by dev's you pay for this proof hey you are an hardcore hardline evangelist if you wana proof the security in the CODE.

its so easy to check out how people like you woring in there brains...
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

After years of development involving all the hard work done by Marek Olsak and Corbin Simpson: You can't run blender, maya, houdini with it (user interface broken).
              Blender is certified Gold on R300 and R400. It can't be a major bug for r500.

Not sure about Maya and Houdini, I'm sure if you donate a license to the OSS devs, they will fix it. They are not cheap.

You can't run unigine sanctuary, tropics with it (floating point patented extensions).
              These cannot work on R500 and older at all (hardware not OpenGL3 capable).

The floating point extensions exist, but you have to pull them from a separate repository. This is hardly the OSS developers' fault.

You can't rely on it to develop OpenGL apps due to numerous bugs (tested it myself many times).
              You filed bugs, I hope? Otherwise, why should we believe you?

I still consider the drivers excellent if a couple of closed-source apps is the worst problem with them.

Comment

• Have you realized you are trying to speak to someone who doesn't even know if R500 is opengl3 capable?

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                The nvidia blobs haven't required to run as root for a long time now.
                Source please.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Being lucky is not a good basis for OS stability
                  That luck has extended over ten years of generations of cards and many many many distro upgrades. At that point it isn't "luck" it is expected behaviour vs your anomaly.

It's a grey area at best. Enough to make most people involved with Linux very wary of the blobs.
                  It is not "grey" at all, it is very black and white.

Neither did I. Don't throw red herrings.

Kernel hackers refuse bug reports involving tainted kernels. KERNEL BUG REPORTS.
                  And your point is? Any bug report that is not a kernel issue is refused open or closed.

And nobody else. Not kernel guys, not KDE guys, not GNOME guys, nobody. So OSS gets workarounds for this crap instead of fixing it at the source.
                  And yet nvidia's track record is still very good at fixing the issues.

No, for anyone except the 100 Nvidia employees. The graphic driver developers working for RedHat or VMware can't do anything about it either.
                  100 qualified employees vs a bunch of hobbyist hmmmmm, I know which I pick for the best chances of support.

Wow, that's a great argument.

I don't need CUDA or OpenGL4. Therefore, they don't matter.
                  Just saying that from a practical point of view "wobbly windows" does zero for productivity. Never the less if that eye candy is wanted it runs fine too.

Yes. Because they maintain one of the most popular Linux distros around, and have to live with packaging the blob crap and all the trouble that goes with it.
                  I've packaged them myself many many many times myself and it has never been a headache as you have described. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Have you realized you are trying to speak to someone who doesn't even know if R500 is opengl3 capable?

Source please.
                    Read the links provided in the previous posts.

Comment

• Applications like Maya, and I guess Blender, are targetted by AMD with the proprietary drivers. If you're really serious about using things like that, and I mean on a professional level, then you're likely to always be using the proprietary drivers.
                      Those applications are not really the target of the open source drivers, though I expect that they'll run on them (if not now, then eventually).
                      Now I've nothing against people not liking software from [company X], probably written by aliens, but offering some decent reasons ("because it sucks" is not a decent reason) and respecting that others have a different view does go a long way.

Comment

Working...
                      X