AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by devius View Post
    This thread has more of a NSR in the 60dB range. You can say what you want in this thread and the discussion will go on from there.
    Ah, as I suspected. On the up side, heated political, religious, or open source debates keep the blood warm on cold wintry days. Of course, one could argue that dialogue regarding open source incorporates both political and religious overtones. :-)

Comment

• If you want to add your won tube distortion to the signal ( heretic motives resulting in many people's devout amd-opensource beliefs to fade ), you're welcome. And if you are annoyed by the fact amd's linux support (opensource or not) sucks and will suck in the future being made public: then try to sermon people with a bright future prophecy to keep all the brothers on the ranks. You're all welcome.

Comment

• Really shouldn't be keeping this thread going due to the troll, but just to mention....
        AMD do most of their cpu development using linux and in-house tools (their new SimNow demo linked from the latest newsletter shows them running a linux system). Wonder if they do the same for gpu development too.

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
          If you want to add your won tube distortion to the signal ( heretic motives resulting in many people's devout amd-opensource beliefs to fade ), you're welcome. And if you are annoyed by the fact amd's linux support (opensource or not) sucks and will suck in the future being made public: then try to sermon people with a bright future prophecy to keep all the brothers on the ranks. You're all welcome.
          I see no ranks - just users who want their crap they paid good money for to work as intended.

Oh wait no you're right , I'll sell everything with AMD or ATI written on it to some chump on ebay.... I bow to your superior knowlege!

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
            you can improve the quality of code by open up the code with an GPL or BSD license so you get more people into the circle means more people found bugs and fix bugs.
            You assume that the same number of people would work on it to begin with, which is not true. Good drivers are something that is a competitive advantage, it sells cards and makes money. More money means more people to hire developers. More developers leads to more and better code.

Let me make a more absurd example, assume AMD would open source their hardware designs. That way, more people would find and fix bugs right? Well maybe, but Intel and nVidia would also take all their smart ideas and use them in their own cards so AMD loses lots of money. Not a good idea.

Look at the world and it's mostly closed source. Why is Photoshop still the dominant tool? Because people pay for Photoshop and for that money Adobe hires lots of people to develop Photoshop. A lot more than that work on the GIMP.

Comment

• FLOSS = Science
              Closed = Magic

I don't like david blaine ....

Why is apache the most popular webserver ? As for photoshop vs GIMP - I know which I prefer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Why is the world mostly closed source and i do not use this shit?
                LMAO, what about your games?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  LMAO, what about your games?

as for your "AAA gone gold before release" games - there isn't much hope of your average ps3/dirtbox user able to contribute - they are sheep and pay accordingly

Comment

• From 'open sourced lies' to 'closed vs FLOSS' - this is phoronix right? i've not been re-directed to neowin forums have I?

Closed = magic - throw money at the entertainers who perform wonderful tricks for your amusement , they'll make a gazillion dollars and everyones happy...

FLOSS = science - throw your time , thoughts and opinions at the problems at hand and we can make the world a better place... in software at least

Comment

• facts:
                      A) most proprietary software is utter crap.
                      B) most Open Source software is complete shit.

A+B implies:
                      C) 99% of all software belongs in a toilet

The one and only thing that matters in software is the quality of the people working on the project.

And on that front, it quite usually all comes down to the same thing: money. Every single one of the major rockstar Open Source developers is a highly paid individual working for some company who has an investment in the project. Every single one of the major code-ninja proprietary developers is a highly paid individual working for some company who has an investment in the project.

There are proprietary software apps that blow away every single FOSS competitor that exists or likely ever will exists. There are Open Source apps that pretty much invalidate the possibility of a proprietary alternative ever being able to succeed. In either case, the development model is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether there's a strong group of highly motivated and experienced developers working on the project or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X