Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kjella View Post
    For years the community said "give us specs" and when they did people like you come and say "oh, and write the driver for us too".
    come one what is wrong about this part ? ? ? if you buy amd hardware you pay the dev's to dev a OS driver thats simpel and nothing wrong about that.

    in the same way if you get an support ticket from redhat you pay the devs to dev the driver to.

    there is nothing wrong about that.

    its simple you get what you pay for.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      come one what is wrong about this part ? ? ? if you buy amd hardware you pay the dev's to dev a OS driver thats simpel and nothing wrong about that.
      If your not going to write the driver yourself then WTF is the point of turning over the specs if you are going to depend on the same entity to do all the work?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kjella View Post
        It's the open source community that doesn't have enough people, not AMD. AMD didn't start this project so they could make another set of drivers 100% written by themselves, only open source. For years the community said "give us specs" and when they did people like you come and say "oh, and write the driver for us too".
        +1000 If your going to depend on the people that produce the specs to write the drivers then there is no need to open the specs in the first place as those people have had them all along.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          in the same way if you get an support ticket from redhat you pay the devs to dev the driver to.
          Nothing in the AMD marketing or technical specifications for the product you purchased claimed anything about Linux support, much less FOSS drivers.

          If you buy a car and don't have a driver's license and insurance, that's not the car manufacturer's problem. If you buy a pad of paper and don't buy a pen, that's not the paper company's problem. If you eat Mexican food and don't buy some Zantac, that's not Mexico's problem.

          If the paper company starts giving out cheap pens with every pad of paper, that's certainly nice of them, but you still don't get the right to bitch that the pen isn't a high quality fountain pen. Not unless you actually paid extra for it, or unless the paper was marketed as including an expensive quality pen.

          its simple you get what you pay for.
          And you never paid for FOSS Linux drivers. You paid for a piece of hardware that includes Windows drivers. If you expected it to have FOSS Linux drivers, that's not AMD's problem.

          Do you expect AMD to also develop drivers for Solaris, BSD, QNX, iOS, Haiku, Inferno, Minix, Symbian, FreeDOS, etc.? Because AMD never once claimed in any of the marketing material on any product they shipped that those would be supported, so anyone expecting such support has their head lodged somewhere dark and stinky.

          AMD includes Windows support with their GPUs. They have OS X support, likely implemented largely by Apple. They have limited Linux support for a limited range of distributions on a limited range of GPUs (FireGL on enterprise distros, mainly). Everything else is unsupported, and if it works, that's just a bonus.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kjella View Post
            For years the community said "give us specs" and when they did people like you come and say "oh, and write the driver for us too".

            "The community said", this phrase is something that keeps coming up when the opensource drivers for ATi cards are under discussion. But I find this sentence rather vague. It reminds me of when politicians go populist and make claims like "The people of this country want...", when a more honest translation would probably be "a subset of the people of this country that I represent want..."

            Now back to this "community" thing. Does this community you are talking about have an official spokes-body? Does it issue press releases? If so can you please point to me to any statements of this official community spokes-body regarding opensource ATI drivers. If not then how did this community communicate with you? Perhaps it was some random Joe on the Internet making all sorts of claims? But then it would be more honest to write "random Joe on the Internet said give us the specs we write the drivers".

            Anyway I cannot do anything with such a vague concept as "the community", furthermore I have no dealings with whatever community. I have ATI hardware which I paid for and so I expect ATI to write the drivers for this card. I did not buy my card from IKEA.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              I have ATI hardware which I paid for and so I expect ATI to write the drivers for this card. I did not buy my card from IKEA.
              No you bought a finished product for windows, nothing more, nothing less so why should you expect anything more?

              Comment


              • Have a look here:
                http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...verview.aspx#1

                http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...verview.aspx#2

                http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...verview.aspx#3

                Do you see ANYTHING mentioning that you can expect linux support let alone a opensource driver?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  "The community said", this phrase is something that keeps coming up when the opensource drivers for ATi cards are under discussion. But I find this sentence rather vague. It reminds me of when politicians go populist and make claims like "The people of this country want...", when a more honest translation would probably be "a subset of the people of this country that I represent want..."

                  Now back to this "community" thing. Does this community you are talking about have an official spokes-body? Does it issue press releases? If so can you please point to me to any statements of this official community spokes-body regarding opensource ATI drivers. If not then how did this community communicate with you? Perhaps it was some random Joe on the Internet making all sorts of claims? But then it would be more honest to write "random Joe on the Internet said give us the specs we write the drivers".
                  Here you go :
                  http://lwn.net/Articles/237920/

                  Statement i made was pretty much the general feeling in the community which refer here only to Xorg developer community.

                  Comment


                  • http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

                    When you press the link "ATI proprietary Linux FAQ" you get this:

                    http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn.../catalyst.aspx

                    It says amd's catalyst technology is supported under linux here. So amd propagates the same product and support to be present for linux systems. Every linux user using officially supported distributions has the right to demand the same support for their hardware they paid money for as the windows users get. Otherwise this is deceptive advertising.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                      http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

                      When you press the link "ATI proprietary Linux FAQ" you get this:

                      http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn.../catalyst.aspx

                      It says amd's catalyst technology is supported under linux here. So amd propagates the same product and support to be present for linux systems. Every linux user using officially supported distributions has the right to demand the same support for their hardware they paid money for as the windows users get. Otherwise this is deceptive advertising.
                      I do run AMDs proprietary drivers under GNU/Linux. I am getting the same level of support as with windows. Or will you blame AMD too for not supporting win98 anymore? or win2k? Because it never said it didn't support them. You should probably blame nvidia for the same thing.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X